Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Working in healthcare and having the vaccination.

(16 Posts)
Maize Tue 03-Nov-09 17:20:38

I work directly with immunocompromised people in a hospital environment.

We have been told that the vaccinations will be starting soon for us because we fit into the priority group.

I am so unsure about getting it, do I have to? But then I feel guilty about not having it because of the risk to the patients

Any advice? Thanks.

MummyToucan Tue 03-Nov-09 20:39:24

Hi, I also work in healthcare and am pregnant - I have to say my main reservations have been because I'm pregnant, but I've decided to have the jab.
It's a personal decision and I'm pretty sure you can't be forced.
I found talking to my boss and also occupational health very useful in helping me make up my mind.
If you haven't looked already the NHS website gives loads of info on the vaccine, but a personal chat with an occ health nurse or your GP might help more - it did with me.
HTH

MavisEnderby Tue 03-Nov-09 20:42:47

Hi,also work in similar sit and have been advised to have both flu jabs.Am going to.Ward manager is muttering doom and gloom scenarios re swine flu and the consensus is we need to have it.If you are really unsure don't think you are forced to though.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 03-Nov-09 20:45:45

I'm a physio working an acute medical wards and I have reservations too.

I started a thread here

In the end I didn't go for my jab today, really because I couldn't face taking my 2 ds's into work on my day off, and we're going away this weekend and I don't want to be feeling rotten.

Nobody can make you have the jab, but we are being strongly encouraged to do so - often unfairly using the "think of your patients" line to sway us imo.

stinkypinky Tue 03-Nov-09 20:51:02

MummyToucan I am a pregnant nurse, and Occ Health will not even talk to me about it. My colleagues have beed offered the vaccine, but as I am pregnant, I have to go to my GP about it - but they have no supplies yet. Am claiming discrimination at present and thinking of refusing any patient contact until vaccinated. I am in Scotland - may I ask roughly where you are?

Maize How would you feel if one of your patients was infected by yourself? Genuine question - not a criticism.

unfitmother Tue 03-Nov-09 20:53:19

I had it last week, bit of a no-brainer for me as DH is immunocompromised.

elizabethsmum Tue 03-Nov-09 21:32:40

Hi

I went into work to have this today (on day off) partly as I don't want to catch it and pass it onto DD (3.7) but also as I spend a lot of time working in ante-natal clinics. Anyway it turns out I can't have jab as I am allergic to formaldehyde which is an active ingredient in both vaccines. As far as I know I only have an allergy which causes dermatitis but when I asked what the worst that could happen was and was told anphalaxic(Sp?)shock it obviously wasn't an option really! Was told to see my GP for advice. Anyone else any experience or knowledge of this?? Sorry to hijack.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 03-Nov-09 21:47:46

From what I can find out Celvapan doesn't contain any preservatives or adjuvant, however on page 2 of this document it says you shouldn't have the jab if you have had a sudden life threatening reaction to formaldehyde.

Have a look and see for yourself, but it sounds like if you're really keen to have it, you probably could if there's someone there and to monitor you afterwards who can administer adrenalin should you need it.

Maize Tue 03-Nov-09 23:01:52

Obviously i would feel guilty stinkypinky I am not heartless, I think thats an unfair question.

If I wasn't bothered I would not be asking this question.

I work with people having chemo so my patients are very very vulnerable which is why it is such an issue for me.

I had a bad reaction to a flu jab before which why I feel so worried.

Also general vaccine worries...

I feel horrid for wondering about not having it.

luciemule Tue 03-Nov-09 23:09:05

Think it's against human rights to force you to have it. I found the following but not sure how accurate it is:

"Demands for your current immunization status violate your right to privacy.

Imprisonment or mass quarantine, when offered as the sole alternative to your participation in an experimental medical program, is a violation of your right to freedom of movement.

Forced vaccination is a violation of your property rights over your own body…and your right to free exercise of religion…and your right to liberty."

Whoa - bit heavy but there it is.

moaningminniewhingesagain Tue 03-Nov-09 23:14:53

Well I used to work in a role with poorly patients and always declined the routine flu jab. I am on ML from my frontline but non patient contact NHS job now, but I will not be having the jab if offered.

For me - I am at minimal risk from SF causing problems, me and DCs are fit and well. It pisses me off that they try to blackmail us about it tbh.

I personally feel they are offering it to some staff groups to avoid possible sickness absence rather than a desire to protect our health IYKWIM.

However I can see the decision would be more difficult when working with immunocompromised patients, and there are always possible infections egs when the DCs get norwalk type viruses, chickenpox, etc.

Am not anti vaccinations at all, DCs have all the routine ones and I have also.

moaningminniewhingesagain Tue 03-Nov-09 23:17:54

And I think you have to put yourself and your family before the patients, do what you feel is right for you. If a patient decided to decline certain treatments you would respect their autonomy, and ensure they were making an informed choice smile

katiek123 Thu 05-Nov-09 19:22:10

I work in a surgery and was really swithering - until two (our age-ish) people were admitted into our local ICU with it this week - that focussed my mind a lot! I had it this morning. Just the sore arm so far...

madamy Thu 05-Nov-09 19:30:07

maize I'm in exactly the same situation as you - same patient group - and I'm going to have it. My main reason is that it offers some protection for my family as I won't bring the virus home from work.
I was speaking to a mum at school who works on our infectious diseases ward and one of their consultants has been involved in the initial safety testing and he's said alot to reassure staff.
I'm encouraging staff to have it - mind you I'm the ward sister and will have to sort out the staffing if they are off sck so have a vested interest!! You can't be forced to have it though.

Northernlurker Fri 06-Nov-09 17:22:57

I've had it today. The risk to my health is tiny imo compared to the risk a serious illness poses to the patients I deal with. I am not clinical but I still feel a sense of responsibility to the patients and this seems like the best course of action - especiallys as I have three children at home who could bring the bug home from school and nursery! Dd2 may get the vaccine but i'll have to see.

My arm is sore but otherwise fine.

tink123 Fri 06-Nov-09 18:32:12

Had mine today. Think I owe it to the older patients I look after who already have enough problems without getting swine flu

All staff on my ward have got it, no-one refused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now