Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Passing on immunity to newborn...

(3 Posts)
Cherrypie32 Tue 03-Nov-09 13:50:46

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I can't find anything.
I am perfectly healthy and would not normally have a flu jab. I am 35 weeks pregnant and have the opportunity to have the jab on Saturday.
Whilst I originally would have said absolutely not to jab, I have recently thought that it might be wise to immunise me so that my newborn is covered. God forbid that he/she came down with it because myself, DH or DS got it in the first few months of it's life.
However, I am confused as to if immunity will pass on automatically to baby in the womb or I would have to breastfeed to pass on??
Any ideas/thoughts anyone?

corblimeymadam Tue 03-Nov-09 14:06:16

Message withdrawn

sunridge Tue 03-Nov-09 20:20:42

Having read the Prof Salisbury webchat thing just now, it seems to me that the vaccine in pregnancy is the recommended way forward to pass on the antbodies before the birth, and then breastfeeding will do its own important job after the birth, as antibodies are passed on anyway. I will be 38wks tomorrow and have really agonised over the decision to have the vaccine, but have come to the conclusion after speaking to my MW and GP today that I should go ahead with it. I still have a few concerns but the risks of not having it seem to me to be greater to my baby than the risks of having it. DS is nearly 3 and we have him to consider as well, so I figure it's better to have the jab. Good luck with your decision!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now