Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

travelling to ukraine, advice please

(8 Posts)
motherlovebone Tue 03-Nov-09 12:32:29

we are meant to be travelling to ukraine on friday.
am i mad to consider it?
i have a 6 & 1 year old who would be coming with me.
we would be headed to Lviv, where it all started apparently.
dont know whether to cancel or not.
we wont be able to do it again until next winter, DS grandparents would be meeting him for the first time.
anyone?

Chamomile Tue 03-Nov-09 13:15:42

Are your relatives able to give you a more accurate picture of what is going on than what we read here? I wouldn't be happy about going personally but it is hard to judge without more info.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 03-Nov-09 13:51:56

The more I read on the situation, the more I think that it is being overblown for political purposes with election campaigning starting.
bbc report

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 03-Nov-09 20:27:24

I don't know if the WHO update will help or hinder you. I've hesitated posting the link, but I think you'd rather have the latest info rather than platitudes.

If I were you, I'd print that off, and make an urgent appt to speak to your gp to talk over whether a prophylactic course of tamiflu to take would be appropriate. i don't know, I'm not a medic.

Do note the last paragraph though, WHO are not recommending travel restrictions and this may still be no different to cases around the world.

motherlovebone Tue 03-Nov-09 21:00:48

Thanks for your replies.

Relatives do say it is political, that at this time of year deaths do start (first snowfall/cold snap) im just a bit concerned that if we did fall ill we would have to miss our flight home.

I called the docs, they said that they need their quota of medicine for genuine cases.

We have decided against going, though if things settle we can easily revert to plan A, otherwise i can probably go just me and baby in the new year for a few days.

Effing inconvenient.

vesela Wed 04-Nov-09 10:52:22

Oh dear. I think you've made the right decision, though. When it comes down to it, the main thing is if you did get it while in Ukraine and had any complications, you'd be relying on a healthcare system that's struggling to cope.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 04-Nov-09 12:32:29

What a shame for you. I think I would have made the same decision cos of them closing schools and restricting some gatherings. Whatever the reason for that it could be a bit complicated over there.

impfty Wed 04-Nov-09 13:47:42

I think you've made the right decision. If you can't take your own Tamiflu or guarantee getting it there, or other medical care as you'd be visitors, then best to stay away for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now