Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

SF vaccine offered to whole household??

(6 Posts)
JollyBear Mon 02-Nov-09 19:59:13

Hello,

I'm just after a bit of advice. I have had an organ transplant, therefore have an low immune system and have been offered the SF vaccination. I will be having it as the risks of complications of SF itself outweigh possible vaccine side effects. However DH and DD (10 months) have also been offered the vaccine as they are members of a household of someone with a chronic health condition. My questions are:

1. Why have they been offered the vaccine?

2. Should I let my DD have it even though she is perfectly healthy?

If anyone has an advice I'd be very grateful, thanks.

impfty Mon 02-Nov-09 20:25:06

No vaccine is 100% successful for every single person who gets it. I imagine it's a belt and braces thing - just in case the vaccine doesn't work on you, it'll protect you a bit more.

Sleepisnotoptional Mon 02-Nov-09 20:31:28

It has been offered to everyone in your household to reduce any possible exposure to it for you. It is about reducing the risk for you.

Impfty - is there any reported evidence that i can look at regarding success as in doubt as to whether to let ds have it.

JollyBear Tue 03-Nov-09 14:15:53

Thanks for your replies.

sleep Are you in the same situation? I just don't know what to do and need to decide before Saturday.

RubberDuck Tue 03-Nov-09 16:08:42

It's because people with a fragile immune system are often those that also tend not to build up a good enough immune response to vaccines (although of course, every little bit of response helps). It's one of the reasons herd immunity is so important in vaccination programs.

Sleepisnotoptional Tue 03-Nov-09 16:13:46

No.ds is asthmatic and reacts badly to 90% of medicines we have tried him. He cant even tollerate calpol or antihistamines. He is bad when poorly especially as we are ballancing reaction to meds with need for meds. Nightmare asthmatic in that respect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now