Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please support mumsnetter petition on choice on swine flue vaccines

(9 Posts)
oremstango Sun 01-Nov-09 13:41:04

If you've followed the sf thread under pregnancy the issue of vaccine access remains top of mind to pregnant mums as the first one being rolled out contains mercury. Please take 2 minutes to support this petition to support vaccine choice for pregnant mums.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/SFjabchoicePG/

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 01-Nov-09 14:17:37

We've had this thread (twice) and the resulting discussion as to why a choice isn't very practical at the moment when they are struggling to get out enough vaccine to even cover the basics.

here if you'd like to read the discussion.

oremstango Sun 01-Nov-09 21:07:18

Yes, indeed, but thought it worth re-flagging. In terms of the issues you've raised, other countries (like the US) have used other suppliers to also provide pregnant women with choices we do not have here. This is not simply an issue of supply lagging behind demand, this is also a very simple cost issue (the mercury-based version allows multi-doses in one vial versus the single-dose vaccine that would, according to many, be more suitable for pregnant women).

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 01-Nov-09 21:15:48

have you seen the huge shortages in the States? much less vaccine available than they had hoped for and need, the pandemic is a very real problem there now. multi vial doses faster to make and administer. I reckon many there are wishing that they had gone for adjuvants and multi dose vials. Never going to be a right answer for this kind of situation I think.

Musukebba Sun 01-Nov-09 21:25:17

Sorry oremstango: your information is not correct. Celvapan is supplied multidose too.

And it completely IS an issue of supply, because that vaccine didn't get EU approval as quickly as Pandemrix.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 01-Nov-09 21:34:22

Thank goodness you are back Musukebba

Musukebba Sun 01-Nov-09 22:03:27

Thanks OYBBK . Apologies for the usual sporadic look-in... we are having to deal with this in the real world and I'm having to put that first.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 01-Nov-09 22:09:11

I figured that might be the case. Rather more important to deal with the real life version! How are you? and is it going much as you expected?

oremstango Mon 02-Nov-09 21:33:03

Ladies, if you're pregnant and feel confident getting the mercury-containing versions by all means...I however have concerns as do many others that cannot just be brushed aside. Many differences exist to US including that they're putting everyone under 25 as high-risk so a bit hard to draw comparisons. They're also using different suppliers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now