Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine flu in grown ups - when did you start feeling better?

(13 Posts)
Wigeon Sun 01-Nov-09 12:20:25

Have been looking at past threads but can't find anything on this - if you've had SF, when did you start feeling better?

And please can you feel sympathetic for me? <pathetic>

Started feeling funny on Thurs pm, by Friday had a temperature, shivering, hot and cold, achy, horrible headache, sore throat, and have been in bed pretty much all the time since Friday. No temperature today thank goodness. NHS websites say it might last 5 days in adults. Can't remember the last time I was in bed ill for more than a day! Am taking Tamiful and paracetamol and trying to drink lots of water.

When did you start to feel better? <hopeful>

MamaG Sun 01-Nov-09 12:23:47

You're a week behind me, I started the Friday before! Fell 100% now, keep taking the tamiflu and the paracetamol but also take ibuprofen too.

Poor you, horrible isn't it.

I started to feel brighter on, I think, the Wednesday. Can't really remember exactly what day they've all blurred into one!

MamaG Sun 01-Nov-09 12:28:05

no, Tuesday

breastsofjordan Sun 01-Nov-09 12:28:34

Have I got swine flu? I've been ill for about a week and a half. Felt very chesty. Every morning have needed an hour in the bathroom releasing phlegm! I've also felt so tired, it's knackering me to write this. At first was a bit nauseous. I've not had a high temp tho. (not got thermometer anyway). Does it sound like swine flu? And as it's been a week and a half, is too late to bother with the Tamiflu?

morethanyoubargainfor Sun 01-Nov-09 12:36:55

yes it does sound like swine flu, i had it for 3 weeks before going to the gp, within 48 hours of taking the tamiflu i flet loads better, and now nearly teo weeks later i feel ok, but stillhave chesty cough.

Wigeon Sun 01-Nov-09 12:37:25

Thanks MamaG. Glad you feel better. Sounds like you were out of action for 5 days then? I've never quite got the difference between paracetamol & ibroprofen - why should I take one rather than the other? We've got both in the house so I just want to do whatever will make me feel better quickest!

BreastsofJordan - I did the online diagnoser thing, here:

If you or a member of your family has a fever or high temperature (over 38°C/100.4°F) and two or more of the following symptoms, you may have swine flu:

•unusual tiredness,
•headache,
•runny nose,
•sore throat,
•shortness of breath or cough,
•loss of appetite,
•aching muscles,
•diarrhoea or vomiting.

I think Tamiflu is most effective if taken within 48 hours of symptoms appearing, but you could always call the Pandemic Flu helpline if you are unsure. Hope you feel better soon!

Wigeon Sun 01-Nov-09 12:40:41

Actually, the diagnoser thing is here.

Morethan - sorry to hear you are still feeling crappy after 2 weeks!

MamaG Sun 01-Nov-09 12:42:13

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory, both will bring odnw your temp and relieve pain.

I alternated the two, taking one every 2 hours!

whomovedmychocolatecookie Sun 01-Nov-09 12:50:44

I had it and didn't realise it was a problem till I got a secondary infection, called the GP and was told if you still are suffering after a week you do need to get checked. However it was a good two weeks before I started to feel better and I don't remember anything of the first week at all (sorry) so I can't tell you anything.

morethanyoubargainfor Sun 01-Nov-09 13:47:47

i only went to the gps because of a seconday infection aswell!

I had all the symptons apart from the d&v.

breastsofjordan Sun 01-Nov-09 14:35:38

Thanks all for advice and info. Don't know if I should just ring for the tamiflu or go to doc to get my chest checked?

whomovedmychocolatecookie Sun 01-Nov-09 17:48:12

Are you coughing or just short of breath? The cough can last 6 weeks shock

Lilyloo Tue 10-Nov-09 19:34:44

I have been ill since a week on Monday. Am just starting to feel more like myself but still have the cough.
Have wondered if it was swine flu but had to carry on for dc's last week.
Took to bed at the weekend though.
6 weeks for the cough shock i need some sleep and to be fair so does dp and dd (in same room as me)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now