Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

We've got the number to get some tamiflu but I don't know whether to bother or not

(5 Posts)
Frrrightattendant Fri 30-Oct-09 15:59:18

Ds1 has been ill since last night - he had temperature of just over 38 when he went to bed, took some calpol and nurofen, slept Ok and felt cool to me in the night. This morning his throat hurt, he was a bit hot again, more calpol, not too bad.
He is still shivery and coughs occasionally, sore throat, having hot lemon drinks and the usual meds.

I did the assessment thingy and it gave us an auth code for tamiflu, BUT is there any point? He has had very mild asthma in the past, not used inhaler for about 3 years (he is 6.6) and no other underlying conditions.

I have heard that tamiflu can make it a bit quicker (if it is SF, might not be) but also that it can make them sick, which at the moment would be a significantly worse thing than what he is experiencing (and me!!)

Should we pick it up anyway, in case it gets worse? Or is that pointless? The assessment thing doesn't tell you anything much.

Thanks.

claudialyman Fri 30-Oct-09 23:11:48

can you pick it up and have it as it is meant to reduce the risk of complications like pneumonia if taken early on isnt it? be handy if they have done a bloodtest or whatever so youll know for sure if SW but they dont neccesarly any more do they? hope he recovers soon

RubberDuck Fri 30-Oct-09 23:30:16

There is some doubt whether tamiflu is helpful at all for children: Swine Flu - Tamiflu harm outweighs benefits for children article in Telegraph.

You have to be a bit wary of media reporting of medical studies, but I've heard similar comments re: effectiveness and side effects from a nurse friend. I personally wouldn't give my kids it unless there was new and more convincing evidence of its worth.

Frrrightattendant Sat 31-Oct-09 07:28:46

Ah thanks very much.

I am a bit wary of administering things unless necessary anyway and part of me feels this is a big plot to use up all the stocks the gvt ordered in for Avian flu...I don't like the aribtrary instructions to take the stuff without any kind of side effects or questions etc mentioned.

It feels like 1984!

Claudia thankyou I will keep an eye out in case he gets worse, seems to have lost the fever now though ds2 was very hot all night so little sleep had by anyone.

Thanks again...probably not going to go for the pills this time.

Frrrightattendant Sat 31-Oct-09 12:06:14

Well we're definitely not going for the tamiflu. It seems ds (and prob ds2) has got hand, foot and mouth after all that.

Yuck.
Someone tell me grown ups don't get it please!!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now