Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone with a medical background who can give me reassurance ?

(11 Posts)
bumpsoon Thu 29-Oct-09 20:11:31

Had my swine flu vaccine today at 33 weeks pregnant ,was given pandemrix . Never had any reaction to vaccines in the past ,leetle bit concerned that it contains formaldehyde ,but am guessing this will be a trace content. Just want a nice medical/pharmecutical type person to say ,'absolutely nothing to worry about'

MinkyBorage Fri 30-Oct-09 00:58:55

not medical, but dc took part in vaccine trial, which randomly chose which vaccine to give each person,when we were there there were a couple of kids involved in the trial whose Dad was one of the Doctors admistering injections. I reckon he'd tell you not to worry

pofacedandproud Sat 31-Oct-09 10:02:49

Well WHO are saying the pandemrix is safe for pregnant women, and now you've had it you must focus on the relief that you will not get SF and endanger your baby that way. Though it has not been tested on pregnant women [unethical] it is supposed to be very similar to seasonal flu vaccines, so there are not thought to be any additional problems with pandemrix. I'm not a medic but suspect that is what you'd be told!

mosschops30 Sat 31-Oct-09 10:19:46

bumpsoon how are you feeling afrer your vaccine?
I am due to have mine on monday (almost 39 wks pg), bit nervous but know its important to protect myself and baby, especially with 2 others in school, and being asthmatic think Im better off having it than not

jaabaar Sat 31-Oct-09 19:11:53

Hi,

After initially not wanting the vaccinge I have now decided for it. However whne you mentioned formaldehyde I got worried and found the following:

Many common household products contain agents that can do serious harm to an unborn. During pregnancy, avoid the following:

Diethylstilbestrol (DES)

Lead
Lithium
Mercury
Formaldehyde
Valproic acid

Anyone else knows anything about this?

thanks

jaabaar Sat 31-Oct-09 19:13:52

Hi,

After initially not wanting the vaccinge I have now decided for it. However whne you mentioned formaldehyde I got worried and found the following:

Many common household products contain agents that can do serious harm to an unborn. During pregnancy, avoid the following:

Diethylstilbestrol (DES)

Lead
Lithium
Mercury
Formaldehyde
Valproic acid

Anyone else knows anything about this?

thanks

Jujubean77 Sat 31-Oct-09 19:23:47

formaldehyde is in some hair conditioners and shaving balms.

bumpsoon Sat 31-Oct-09 20:07:35

Feel absolutely fine after vaccine ,knackered but thats pregnancy for you ,have to admit i purposely didnt read any of the side effects on leaflet ,as a nurse i find all the leaflets with meds usually end with acute organ failure /death grin

mosschops30 Sun 01-Nov-09 12:00:51

I read that the mercury in the SF jab is ethyl rather than methyl (think ive got that the right way round) and is broken down quicker in the body.

I am going to have mine tomorrow after a bit of scouting round for info Ive decided its a risk I have to take, far smaller than the risk of me geting SF and developing complications.
Am also having regular flu vaccine at the same time.

youre so right bumpsoon I always post on here when people talk about side effects of stuff that if you read a packet of paracetamol side effects you would never take it.

Elibean Sun 01-Nov-09 15:49:48

Nothing to do with the reassuring re ingredients bit, but re how people feel: dh and both dds had their vaccinations done on Wednesday - one dd had a slight fever and was achey that evening, and dh felt awful with aches and pains and a headache. Both were fine the next morning.

Just in case anyone feels achey etc and worries smile

Musukebba Sun 01-Nov-09 21:13:45

bumpsoon: am virology medical and I'm sure you will be fine. There's a huge amount of misquoting and consequent misunderstandings about the mercury/adjuvant/etc stories. Risks of SF disease in pregnancy far outweigh any theoretical worries of vaccine constituents. Some people get one or two symptoms a bit like flu after the vaccine, whether preg or not, but it's brief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now