Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would you consider this an underlying health problem?

(5 Posts)
LaSorciereFolle Wed 28-Oct-09 10:35:21

DS (4.5) had open-heart surgey as a newborn for a defect he would otherwise have died from.

The op was a success and we are told he should live a normal life He has a check-up once a year and is full of beans.

Today I found out there is a confirmed case of swine flu at his school and my first instinct is to take him out until he has the vaccine.

Although he is perfectly healthy now, I do feel he is more vulnerable but tbh I have always been ultra-protective of him ever since he was ill sad

What do you think, am I being too overprotective? My Dh thinks so, he says as he had the defect corrected that he would not be condsidered to have any health complications and would weather it just like he has weathered flu/bugs in the past.

What do you think? Do I need some sense talked into me? I have to go out in a bit but will check for replies when I get back smile

pipWereRabbit Wed 28-Oct-09 10:39:27

The criteria seem to focus on conditions that undermine the individuals immune system (and which require medication to control the immune issues) and conditions which affect the lungs.

At first reading, it doesn't sound as though your DS's medical history meets this sort of criteria. Is he currently on any medication or is he really 'perfectly healthy' as you say?

saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 28-Oct-09 11:03:30

LaSorciereFolle - do you have a cardiac liasion nurse at your unit? You could give them a call for advice. Does ds have a seasonal flu jab usually? And as Rabbit says is he on meds or does he suffer generally with chestiness when he has a cold?

It's a difficult decision isn't it? My dd has significant and ongoing heart problems which can impact on her lung function and she should have the jab (whether she will have it is another thing enitirely) hmm

alypaly Wed 28-Oct-09 11:08:49

as DS is now fully recovered from heart op and has no on going health problems,i am sure he will be fine. I assume his immune system is not compromised?
I am sure DS will be as ok as any other healthy child as he has no conditions now. I can understand your worry though.
if in doubt double check...but try not to worry...smile

LaSorciereFolle Wed 28-Oct-09 12:33:39

Thanks for all your replies smile,

He is not on any medication PWR, and hasn't been since 6wks post op.

He does not have a compromised immune system and does seem healthy, the only thing that I notice is that he sweats a bit more than other kids when he is very active.

saggarmaker sorry to hear of your worries with your dd. They definitely put mine into perspective. Of course, your're right phoning the cardaic liaison is my next port of call.

He was actually considered a priority for the flu jab in the UK (we left a year ago)although in the end he caught it before the jab and came through it ok which should be a good sign shouldn't it?

Thanks alypaly, I've always worried disproportionately about ds and I think I always will blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now