Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how long before symptoms appear/diagnosis is someone infectious????

(8 Posts)
alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 21:58:35

just curious really as I've just discovered that one of the twins in DS1's year at school has swine flu.

None of my DS's are asthmatic - but all are suseptible to chest infections so wondering if I need to be on the look out.......

kcartyparty Mon 26-Oct-09 23:49:33

My son was diagnosed over the phone as having swine flu!!

No-one saw him, no-one listened to his chest (even though he IS an asthmatic), and he didn't even feel that ill. But because he had three symptoms - sore throat, high temp & a cough, they decided he had the flu.

I went half way across Barnet to get meds, only to be sent somewere else.

I wasn't asked if he had any med probs when given the tabs. He does have health probs with his tummy. Tamflu tabs irritate the tum!! Two days later he was fine - except for tummy ache from the tamflu tabs angry

Sorry I went on a bit, but what am trying to say is they are pretty much saying anyone with a runny nose has flu!!

Don't worry too much...rely on your own instincts.

Just for the record - the tamiflu was crap & I took my DS off it after 3 days. If I hadn't he would have been in A&E with tummy problems

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 23:54:46

well I know the mum and it's unlike her to say that one of her DD's is really poorly un;ess they actually are. (they're "hardy" rugby, cross country type girls and I've seen them both doing rugby in the pouring rain in the middle of January with a tissue shoved up their sleeves grin).

I'm just hoping that she's wasn't infectious at school....

A common cold is guaranteed to get DS1 on antibiotics and taking an inhaler, DS3 a little better than that (probably 1 out of 3 colds will end up with him having a chest infection) and DS2 1 out of 4 times.

kcartyparty Tue 27-Oct-09 00:02:15

All am saying is the hotline is diagnosing everyone with swine flu - even if it's normal flu! They are playing safe.

Am not sure how soon after contact the symptoms appear - I think it's 2 - 7 days. Best check the website

Hope your kids don't get it

Best of luck smile

alwayslookingforanswers Tue 27-Oct-09 00:04:37

normal flu/swine flu - no difference in my mind grin - both likely to give at least one of my DS's a chest infection to fight off at the same time smile.

hmmm 2-7 days......they re broke up Thursday afternoon.........what d'ya reckon - big question si which of the twins is in DS1's class.....the one that's ill now, or the one that's currently ok grin

kcartyparty Tue 27-Oct-09 00:17:37

If one twin has it - the other prob has too sad. This means either of yr DS's may get it.

I guess u jus gonna have 2 wait & see!

If u see no signs by Friday, there prob ok
[hmmm] hopefully

frostyfingers Tue 27-Oct-09 15:32:22

Well someone in my DS's class was diagnosed with swine flu, sent home pronto and only just come back. The letter we were given said it took 3-5 days for symptoms to appear. My DS came home last night v.unwell - went to bed for 15 (I kid you not) hours, has resurfaced without a temp., hungry and although a bit grey looking seems fine. I'll see how he is in them morning and send him back if he's well.

kcartyparty Tue 27-Oct-09 21:53:38

Hope yr Ds feels better in the morn.

My DS not well today. sad

High temp, fever, sore throat, bad cough.

Friends kids just got diag with hand, foot and mouth disease!!

The above are the first symp's

Keeping an eye out for blisters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now