Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Unclean! Unclean! It'll be bells and placards for us next!

(11 Posts)
whomovedmychocolate Sun 25-Oct-09 15:40:44

DS has a D&V bug, fever, plus a non blanching rash - your usual toddler weekend special virus. Now I am not particularly worried but ring the out of hours service just for advice and they insist I attend (even though he's vaxed against Meningitis B and C and his chances of contracting Meningitis A are v small. hmm

Anyway we arrive and start to walk through the door and are told to stop by a security guard. He point at a sign which says we should not enter if we think we have swine flu (not coughing or looking any more like death than anyone else who has been shat and puked on for the last 24 hours hmm). Then a nurse turns up and takes our temperatures and pronounces DS to be 'feverish' (umm yes 37.5 is technically feverish but he's been up to 39.8 last night - so to me, that's an improvement.

So we are immediately shepherded in bypassing the desk and placed at one end of the waiting room - with a roped off area placed between us and the rest of the waiting room. There are four other families in the 'general' waiting room bit and they are being seen by other doctors.

Obviously there is sod all wrong with DS other than a virus and we are quickly on our way.

However, I would like to know just how a velvet rope prevents the transmission of Swine flu???? Or indeed if it makes sense to put people who clearly don't have swine flu (we've had it before), with people who may well have. We had to walk through the general waiting area to get to the 'isolation' area hmm. If I was a coffin Henry spluttering as I went, I would have infected every bugger in the room before I even ventured beyond the sacred velvet rope. hmm

sarah293 Sun 25-Oct-09 15:43:00

Message withdrawn

Elibean Sun 25-Oct-09 15:43:50

All very hmm, I agree grin

Am very glad ds is improving, though, sounds as though you've all had past your quota of bugs already this season!

nevergoogledragonbutter Sun 25-Oct-09 15:44:41

ROFL at Riven.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 25-Oct-09 16:02:23

Elibean - DS does seem to be a walking petri dish this year hmm

And we thought DD was sickly! hmm

Thanks Riven - the rope had to be touched by the person entering the 'zone of horrors' each time - that must be really hygienic!

Anifrangapani Sun 25-Oct-09 16:06:20

Our GP has a sign saying do not enter if you are feeling unwell hmm

I guess they re not very busy at the moment

whomovedmychocolate Sun 25-Oct-09 16:08:21

Our GP surgery now says on the phone 'if you think you have swine flu HANG UP NOW and phone the Pandemic Flu Service' as if you are going to give it to the receptionist by just talking to her hmm

sarah293 Sun 25-Oct-09 16:11:39

Message withdrawn

Elibean Sun 25-Oct-09 16:23:00

WMMC, funny how one child or t'other gets to be this season's petri dish each year....was always dd2, but now she's had tonsils etc out who knows?!

Did you tell them you'd tested positive for SF already, a while back?

whomovedmychocolate Sun 25-Oct-09 18:35:30

Yep and they had the results on screen there so they could see we had clinically confirmed SF rather than the vague predictions of ye olde pandemic flu service (leeches, 3 for a pound, roll up, roll up hmm)

They didn't care. Apparently 'anyone with a fever gets to sit in the isolation area'. Which means incidentally anyone with say pneumonia who doesn't has swine flu has a shot at going home with it - super!!!! hmm

Elibean Sun 25-Oct-09 18:42:54

Thats insane. Some very un-thought-through (ie panicky) decisions going on there.

You did well to survive smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now