Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

To think now it can't have been SF & discontinue tamiflu ?

(6 Posts)
madamearcati Sun 25-Oct-09 08:40:26

On wednesday DD2 (4) cried most of the day at school for no real reason , which is very unlike her ,she is usually very cheerful.On Wednesday night she didn't sleep very well because her legs were hurting.On Thursday morning she was exhausted when I went to get her up so I let her sleep in.She slept til 11am.In the evening her temperature was up to about 39.5 and she had sore throat , head ache and aches and pains.I went out to get her some tamiflu which she started straight away.Within 24 hours she seems completely better apart from cough and looking pale/dark eyes.
I am wondering now if it could have been SF if she got over it so fast.I thought it normally lasted a lot longer .I am wondering if I should save the anti-viral incase she gets it later on ?

RubberDuck Sun 25-Oct-09 08:43:10

I would continue the full course.

Not totally sure if anti-virals work under the same premise as anti-biotics, but with the latter if you stop before the course is finished and some of the infection is still survives then you've just helped that infection learn how to be resistant to the drug.

madamearcati Sun 25-Oct-09 13:13:50

Has anyone got any insight into whether SF can be really short if Tamiflu started right at the beginning ?

thereluctantrobin Sun 25-Oct-09 13:54:45

I'm pretty sure I've read anecdotal accounts of people feeling better quite fast after Tamiflu, so that's not a sign that it couldn't have been flu - if anything you could take it as a sign that whatever virus she's got is something that's responded well to Tamiflu, so maybe more likely to be flu than not. Also, if she still has the cough, she's not really completely better is she? I would stick with it personally and complete the course.

indiewitch Sun 25-Oct-09 13:57:58

Wouldn't bother to be honest, tamiflu is only useful in the first 48 hours, so even if it was swine flu, she's past the worse.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 25-Oct-09 18:41:11

Once its started, it really should be finished. the last thing we want is the swine flu to become resistant to tamiflu, esp if it then picks up in virulence. As you don't know if she had flu or not I think you should finish the course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now