Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have any of you had notification of when your swine flu vaccination is scheduled?

(10 Posts)
hermione2001ie Sat 24-Oct-09 21:08:20

I saw my GP yesterday for other health issues. I asked him casually when it would be likely that I'd be contacted for the vaccination and he said there was no plans!!! He said that it's all very well for the government and media to say that all high risk people are going to be vaccinated but there's no provision or planning for the logistics of actually immunising everyone. I understand why this might be the case, but I don't find it terribly reassuring.

My o/h thinks I should contact the hospital I'm booked in with (I'm high dependency) and see if I can get it done there. I can imagine I'll get very short shrift if I ring and ask them!

Any thoughts?

QuintessentialShadowsOfDoom Sat 24-Oct-09 21:12:01

I live overseas, and the vaccination plan was in my local paper today:

Stage 1 : Pregnant women of the 2nd and 3rd trimester.
Stage 2 : at risk groups
Stage 3 : People between ages 6mts - 16
Stage 4 : Adults under 60

The elderly wont get a vaccine, unless cared for by home nurses or in institutions, at the descretion of nursing staff.

All during the next two weeks. Except stage 4, possibly not until after Christmas, while waiting for the next batch of vaccines.

I am in two minds whether to take my youngest down, his "timeslot" is on monday, he got an asthma diagnoses when he was 1, which was later "revoked". Though, he only stopped using his inhalers a year ago.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 25-Oct-09 07:39:49

No call up for dd yet. Asthma nurse on thursday said that a letter would be sent to us. She didn't know when it would be.

I did read that it would take up to around 3 weeks or so to get the vaccine to every gp practice and that initially 500 doses would be sent to each one. No idea how far that would stretch.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 25-Oct-09 08:17:36

Just worked out, that those 500 doses in our area will cover around 3% of the population (roughly taking into account that children under 10 will need 2 doses)

I know that the percentage of children with inhalers at dds school is significantly greater than 3% I don't know how that extrapolates across the general population.

When you take into account all the other people in the at risk groups, it must be a fairly reasonable percentage of the population.

Goodness knows how the gp will prioritise those first 500 doses.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 25-Oct-09 08:19:41

(if you take out the 2 dose factor for children as a 3 week+ period is needed between the 2 doses then its closer to there being enough for 4% of the population in our town)

hermione2001ie Sun 25-Oct-09 09:31:40

Well, at least then my surgery isn't not doing something that everyone elses is.

I've got the additional problem that we're moving house mid Nov-when I'll be 35-36 weeks pregnant and I'll have to change GPs so I don't want to miss out. I know there's a lot of people to get around...

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out I guess....

skidoodle Sun 25-Oct-09 09:36:06

I got a letter on Wednesday. Can call any time this coming week to make an appointment for the following week.

I am pregnant (3rd trimester)

extremelychocolateymilkroll Fri 30-Oct-09 22:28:41

Was at my doctor's surgery this week for a 24 week appointment as I am pregnant. They had leaflets explaining that there are drop in clinics for the next 4 Saturdays for those who are prioritised - pregnant women and those people with auto immune illnesses and their carers. I live in London.

bellissima Sat 31-Oct-09 12:21:40

I asked my GP the other week (DD1 asthmatic) and he said that they were only getting a limited number of doses at first and these would be for pregnant women and high risk patients eg those on chemotherapy (certainly can hardly argue with that!). As for other risk groups however then he just didn't know at all when they would be called up.

This just doesn't fit well with govt reassurances that at-risk groups are going to be vaccinated 'soon' (when exactly is soon???) and even exhortations to have the vaccine - er yes great, so give it to us ! (or rather our vulnerable children - I accept that I'm at the back of the queue).

bellavita Sat 31-Oct-09 12:32:28

We got a letter for DS1 (12) on Thursday asking for us to contact the surgery to arrange for him to have the vacc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now