Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Temp only 99.5 / 37.5 so does that mean it's not SF?

(8 Posts)
fromheretomaternity Sat 24-Oct-09 18:12:01

I've been unwell since Thursday night when I had fits of repeated vomiting. Since then no more vomiting but have been tired, lost appetite and temperature has remained higher than usual (99-99.5, my usual is around 97.5-98). No aching or shivering but tum feels a bit unsettled.

Could this be swine flu or is it more likely to be some other bug? I'm not so fussed for myself but DS is only 18 months old and is prone to picking up bugs at the best of times, so I don't want to risk infecting him if it is SF. Currently sitting upstairs in bedroom while DH looks after him to keep myself away from him, but wondering if I'm being a bit too paranoid.

Called SF helpline who seemed to suggest it could not be swine flu as not high temperature and aching, but NHS Direct said that SF can be present without these.

Elibean Sat 24-Oct-09 18:55:25

Cough or sore throat? Cold symptoms? Otherwise, I would guess tummy bug...both my dds had vomiting followed by fever for a couple of days, a few weeks ago. Really don't think it was SF in their case.

Sounds horrid anyway, hope you feel better soon and ds doens't catch it!

clam Sat 24-Oct-09 19:18:03

To be honest, what difference does it make whether this bug has an official name or not? Even if it's not swine flu, you don't want DS catching it.

The whole SF diagnosis business is a joke at the moment, as no-one's being swabbed. The statistics they're quoting are based on random people typing in some details on-line (like we had to do this week, in order to satisfy DH's HR department).

thereluctantrobin Sat 24-Oct-09 20:07:55

The stats aren't just based on the website and phone line - they're based on some testing as well, then they try to extrapolate from that.

But I agree, it really doesn't make all that much difference - if you've got food poisoning or a stomach bug or SF or another flu, you don't really want a toddler getting it - good luck, hope he escapes it. You will reduce his chances of getting it if you're vigilant about handwashing and keeping his and your hands away from your mouth and nose. If you're not actually coughing and sneezing then just doing that will reduce his chances of catching it a lot. Safest of all is your dp looking after him for a bit though.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 24-Oct-09 20:19:15

If it helps to know, there is a tummy bug doing the rounds at our local schools. Having the flu around doesn't make the other usual autumn bugs go away sadly.

fromheretomaternity Sat 24-Oct-09 20:33:01

Makes sense. DH is looking after him right now though he seems to be coming down with the same bug so not easy to insulate DS from the germs now sad

fromheretomaternity Sat 24-Oct-09 20:34:20

ps no cough or cold symptoms or sore throat, so maybe it is a tummy bug after all

DemonBradleySlaysPippi Sat 24-Oct-09 20:39:34

Agree with clam. Both my dd have had 4 days with temp between 38 and 39.5 with cold and cough.

Took big dd to GP who said "it might be SW or not be, who knows. We can only know with swab. But it does not matter as it is a flu and should be cleared withing 5 days with regular medicine. In some cases with Antiviral". Neither dd had antiviral and they both recovered and they were not that bad either. One dd has had some asthma like issues. I am none the wiser on what type of flu they had. It was flu.

Also lots of children off from school with similar symptoms or something completely different involving vomiting etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now