Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

any ideas how to get Tamiflu capsules down a 2 year old?

(9 Posts)
Tommy Sat 24-Oct-09 11:17:18

that's it - DS1 and DS3 have been diagnised and we've been given Tamiflu, in capsule form.

Have tried giving them to both but neither of them will swallow them - they are just leaving them in their mouth untl they disintegrate which makes them taste horrible.

Tips and tried and tested solutions please!

pofacedandproud Sat 24-Oct-09 13:09:00

can you open the capsules and mix the powder inside with something sweet? Don't know what they look like, sorry.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 24-Oct-09 13:13:18

dd1 had them but she was a bit older. (5) .they taste vile, like crushed paracetamol. Even if you crumble them in yogurt or whatever it really taints the food.

How old is ds1? Is your 2 year old able to negotiate/do a deal with you. (possibly not, but if he is nearer 3 and chatty then possibly?)

Anyway, dd1 understood (but obv she was older) that she had to have them. She couldn't stand it when I sprinkled the content on yogurt etc (the pharmacist said fine to do this btw)

So I got a bottle of very thick choc milk shake, and a large teaspoon. Put capsule on spoon in a small puddle of milk shake. Encourage/bribe her to take it. Then let her have any treat she likes as encouragment. (she was off her food so it only took a malteser or two in our case). Also I was happy for her to have extra fluids albeit in the form of milkshake.

Good luck

WailingGhoshe Sat 24-Oct-09 13:22:56

We opened the capsules (pharmisist told us to) and mixed on a teaspoon with jam, children took it easily then.

Tommy Sat 24-Oct-09 17:41:58

thanks - I phoned the pharmacist and she suggested opening the capsule. They had it on a teaspoon of yogurt followed by one of the christmas mini heroes that we opened a bit early.....

Conundrumish Sat 24-Oct-09 20:39:05

We put them in jam for our 2 year old.

madamearcati Wed 28-Oct-09 11:14:40

Put it with brown sugar as per the instructions we got with them.

iwouldgoouttonight Thu 29-Oct-09 12:51:30

We had this problem when DS took tamiflu (he's 3). I ended up phoning the swine flu helpline for suggestions because we tried opening them and mixing them with jam, chocolate spread, yogurt, buttercream, and he'd eat it the first time and then refused (I tasted a bit and could see why!). The helpline woman suggested mixing it with Ribena (neat not mixed with water) and putting it in a medicine syringe. He still didn't like it but it made sure it all went in and we gave him lots of chocolate buttons afterwards to cheer him up a bit!

wheresmypaddle Thu 29-Oct-09 13:00:12

Sounds like you need to mix it with the sweetest, strongest thing you can think of that they like- my vote would be for that strong chocolate syrup that you can put on ice cream.

good luck XX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now