Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there any way of knowing for sure if someone has had swine flu?

(4 Posts)
suzi2 Fri 23-Oct-09 22:25:05

DS had a 'bug' the week before last. 4 days of a very high temperature, Dr suspected an ear infection though he never really complained of ear pain and gave him an antibiotic which did nothing. Some general headache, aches and pains, mild tummy upsets/sickness. Day 5 he had shivers and was soaking with sweat though didn't have a temperature. Days 6-10 he was run down, full of the cold and grouchy, but well. When the ibuprofen was kicking in, he was very lively.

This week DD has had the same though she's a lot more snotty and coughing too. We're on day 5 now and she has no temperature and the sweats seem to have passed.

I'm now thinking that it might have been swine flu for both of them and the 'ear infection' was a red herring. is there any way of knowing for sure? It would save me a lot of worry if I knew they had already had it!

suzi2 Fri 23-Oct-09 22:35:31

Just been up to DD and she's still really snotty and is covered in sweat again, though no temperature. Now feeling like a bad mummy and should have maybe called the GP for her earlier in the week. Not sure what they could do though.

pofacedandproud Sat 24-Oct-09 14:10:35

Medichecks offer a swab service for about 100 quid. I did it, came back negative, unfortunately.

comewhinewithme Sat 24-Oct-09 14:15:42

2 of mine have the same but no temp.
Last week I went to dr's for myself and he said he would have diagnosed SF but I had no temp so I got AB for a throat infection they have done nothing and now I am having cold sweats and feel crappy .

Hope your dc are better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now