Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone nursing a child with swine flu not gone on to catch it?

(13 Posts)
topsyturveymum Wed 21-Oct-09 10:21:18

My 4 yo dd was diagnosed with swine flue a week ago. Obviously, she has been pretty poorly and I have been nursing her all week. I can't believe that I haven't gone down with it too! She's been sharing my bed as she's been so poorly (poor dh has been relegated to the spare room!), we've had loads of cuddles, she's coughed and sneezed over me numerous times - basically I've been cooped up at home with her for a week and I haven't yet succumbed!

Havinb said that I've had a few odd symptoms - neck and back ache for a few days and mild cold symptoms - sore throat and catarrh (a bil like how you feel when you first feel like you are getting a cold before it goes into a full blown one). Have no temperature apart from one night sweat the night before last.

My neighbour is a nurse and says you can't have sf without a temperature. I wonder if I've had a mild version?

Anyone else who's nursed a sf victim had any or no symptoms without developing the full blown thing?

abra1d Wed 21-Oct-09 10:25:47

I had those kind of symptoms the week before both my two apparently had SF. The doctor thought that's what they had.

I wondered whether I'd had a mild version, too.

Neither of us had anything after the children had had their SF. I actually wonder if this is what they had at all as neither of them were poorly for long. My son just seemed to cough a few times and had a temp. over night.

thereluctantrobin Wed 21-Oct-09 10:55:38

You can have it without a temperature - you can even have it subclinically where you have no symptoms at all. Some people will have it and barely feel like they've got a cold. The NHS has to set a cut off for treatment or they'd be overwhelmed with people panicking but H1N1 can cause a range of illness severity - it doesn't have to be really bad to be caused by H1N1.

Wasn't it expat on here whose kids had it early on - they were all swabbed and tested positive - but her dh only ever had cold symptoms?

GrimmaTheNome Wed 21-Oct-09 10:59:28

Similar here - DD had SF, DH and I both felt a little rough the week before.

Marne Wed 21-Oct-09 11:06:23

Dd2 was poorly over the weekend, we were told it wasn't swine flu as her temp was only high for 1 day, she ended up in hospital with a suspected chest infection (then it turned out she didn't have one), then we were told it was tonsilis(sp). I still think it was swine flu as she had all the other symptoms and is still slightly unwell. Dh and i have been unwell but very mild (although today i have a slight temp).

Any way dd2 has been ill since friday and dd2 has woken with a temp today (4 days after dd2 came down with it).

There is still a chance you may get it or you may have already had it.

My friend had it and her children and husband didn't get it, so it is possible you wont get it.

morethanyoubargainfor Wed 21-Oct-09 11:09:15

i currently have swine flu with secondary chest infection, i have been unwell for over 3 weeks now, but my DH and DS haven't caught it, or atleast are not showing any signs of it.

ReneRusso Wed 21-Oct-09 22:20:14

I suspect you've had a mild version. My DDs both caught it, DD1 had it quite badly, she was so ill I had to share a bed with her and I did catch it off her after about 2 days. My DH didn't catch it but he wasn't
in such close contact. My 2nd DD caught it but wasn't very ill, so I think yes, it is possible to have it mildly. She had a sore throat and cough and barely a hint of fever. Seems unlikely to have been a different bug as we didn't leave the house for several days. Another friend whose 4 children all had it, had very mild symptoms and wasn't sure if she had it or not.

nursed dh for 6 weeks with it! and both my DDs but nope not got it yet

pofacedandproud Thu 22-Oct-09 08:59:03

I think expat and her children were quite ill with it, IIRC. Not seriously ill, but quite ill.

pofacedandproud Thu 22-Oct-09 09:00:13

I've had a terrible cough now and wheezing for about 3 weeks, and cold symptoms but no temperature. I don't know if it is SF or not.

mumof2000 Thu 22-Oct-09 09:15:36

I have a really soar throat and cough up a little green guitar in morning ....and feel bit flue but not enough to put me to bed ... could i have mild dose ?

littlerach Thu 22-Oct-09 09:18:43

Dd2 had it in July and was really quite poorly and shared my bed for 5 days.

I didn't catch it, nor did dh or dd1.

However, she wasn't swabed for it, just went by symptoms, so she may have had something else.

singersgirl Thu 22-Oct-09 09:39:13

DS1 has been ill with something very like H1N1 (high fever, headache, cough, disappearing for a couple of days and then coming back) and still has no appetite 10 days in. I feel fine, though did have those start of cold/headachy/tired feelings for a couple of days last week - and I was sharing a bed with DS1 too because his room was being redecorated. DH now has a heavy cold and is taking Lemsip, but DS2 also seems fine - a little dry cough occasionally.

So who knows? DH and DS1 had seasonal flu over New Year 99/2000 and I was fine then, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now