Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are under 5s getting the SF vaccination?

(9 Posts)
LeninGhoul Wed 21-Oct-09 07:36:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sarah293 Wed 21-Oct-09 07:58:01

Message withdrawn

cocolepew Wed 21-Oct-09 07:59:31

The pupils in the Special School I work in are getting it on Friday.

Musukebba Wed 21-Oct-09 13:46:58

Last figures I saw were:

Priority Group (estimated no. (millions))
1. Individuals aged 6 months - 65 years in seasonal flu at-risk groups (4.77)
2. All pregnant women (0.55)
3. Household contacts of immunocompromised individuals (0.53)
4. Individuals over 65 years in seasonal flu at risk groups (3.51)
TOTAL 9.36

In parallel to the above:
Frontline health care workers (1.24)
Frontline social care workers (0.85)
TOTAL 2.09

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 21-Oct-09 14:05:51

Musukebba Interesting breakdown

- probably an unanswerable question but I'll ask it any way!

I read that 500 doses would be going to each gp practice initially. Do you know if that is enough to cover a large gp practice with several gps? Judging by the number of inhalers that school keep for kids I can imagine that it could get quite tight.

Our gp surgery didn't know (as of monday 19th) when they were getting the vaccine and hence when the clinics would run or how they would organise the clinics. Don't think I have ever been so anxious for dd to have a jab. But we see the asthma nurse tomorrow and hopefully she will be able to give us more info.

In the States it seems that those with inflammatory diseases will get it but I guess that here my psoriatic arthritis doesn't count? I used to be given it but was then refused a few years ago and paid for it. (wouldn't want to take it until those who def need it have it anyway)

LeninGhoul Wed 21-Oct-09 16:01:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Musukebba Wed 21-Oct-09 17:02:04

Hi OYBBK: yes unfortunately that's v difficult to answer due to varying sizes of GP practices, but it's likely that only one dose is needed per patient now so it will all go much further.

Prob the decision on your condition will depend on GP but don't forget you are also household contact of your vulnerable DD so that should add some weight for you also being vaccinated. I would definitely use that argument anyway...

LeninGhoul: yes asthma; specifically "Asthma that requires continuous or repeated use of inhaled or systemic steroids or with previous exacerbations requiring hospital admission."

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 21-Oct-09 18:17:31

I'll give that argument a go - thanks Musukebba! (and if I get one under that line at least I wouldn't be jumping the queue on vulnerable people)

at least dds viral nasty that she had has given us a head start on how to tackle her asthma should the vaccine not arrive in time and we end up being unlucky and we have inhalers that are actually effective, so that is a big bonus from where we were a few weeks ago. It also killed any dithering about the vaccine I might have had.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 22-Oct-09 20:32:55

dd had her asthma appt. today. Nurse was great, we talked over what to do. dd was checked over well and her asthma is very good atm

She commented on how rough a time the last bout had been with that bug. It was clear that she took it seriously.
Interestingly, she also said that dd has to go in to to be checked if she develops a temperature. That was oddly reassuring - very nice to have a clear guideline.

She gave dd her missed seasonal jab then and there and said to give it 2-3 weeks before she has her swine jab.

Apparently gp will write to call dd in for her swine. (and overheard one nurse say happily to receptionist - we've just got the date for when the swine jab is arriving)

Blathering on, cos some of it might be helpful to others worried too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now