Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

many swine flu deaths linked to bacterial pneumonia - thoughts on pneumococcal vaccine?

(31 Posts)
pofacedandproud Tue 20-Oct-09 11:20:19

here

In light of this, should high risk groups like asthmatics get the pneumococcal vaccine? What about children? They get Prevnar under two but should they have a booster with the current SF pandemic? Thoughts from clever people please...

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 20-Oct-09 11:48:49

dd was recommended the pneumococcal by the asthma nurse when she was little (before prevnar was given routinely) which we accepted. So I'd say yes, its a good idea based on what we were told.

MaryAmericanSmooth Tue 20-Oct-09 11:51:15

I've had the pneumococcal vaccine because I have no spleen

FlightAttendant Tue 20-Oct-09 12:08:01

Thanks for this, ds2 is overdue his pneumococcal jab as I didn't want him to have the MMR and then forgot to make a separate appointment.
Will do it asap.

pofacedandproud Tue 20-Oct-09 12:16:45

I'm wondering about getting it for ds though he is over 5 [he missed the catch up] and not in a high risk group. In States they are recommending it but not here. Hard to know what the risk is.

SCARYspicemonster Tue 20-Oct-09 12:18:37

I think it's a good idea. My sister has now got pneumonia as a result of swine flu (she has chronic asthma too). She's been ill for nearly 2 months now and is potentially going to be signed off for another week next week. It's a horrible illness

pofacedandproud Tue 20-Oct-09 12:38:35

oh that is horrible scary. hope she feels better soon. My asthma has been terrible this month and I think that is just due to ordinary viral illnesses.

MrsBadger Tue 20-Oct-09 12:45:26

hmm

Prevenar only covers 7 serotypes - Pneumovax (for >2yo) covers more, but if you have swine flu many more things than just pneumococcus can cause pneumonia.

IIRC the Prevenar is part of the normal vax schedule mainly because of its impact on preventing pneumococcal meningitis...

bellissima Tue 20-Oct-09 12:49:48

My asthmatic DD (now 10) was given Pneumovax about ten years ago - recommended by a paed at the Royal Free (yes I joked with him about chaps from there and recommending vaccinations - he just groaned). She had had a series of infections and it just seemed to stop them in their tracks. (Still asthmatic alas and I still want the swine flu jab for her, but Pneumovax certainly helped at the time and if it's true that it gives her greater protection in the event of a swine flu infection, then I'm even more grateful to the doc.)

bellissima Tue 20-Oct-09 12:51:03

sorry that should read five years ago - not at birth!!

abra1d Tue 20-Oct-09 12:58:41

My son had bacterial pneumonia as an 11-month-old and was very ill indeed. Sounds like a good idea to me.

pofacedandproud Tue 20-Oct-09 13:06:54

sorry to hear that abra1d. Was that before Prevnar became part of the vaccination schedule?

abra1d Tue 20-Oct-09 13:14:30

Yes--he's 12.5 now, so a fair while ago.

He'd had an apparently mild cold and recovered well, eating like a horse the day before he was ill and bouncing around. I took him for a walk in his prams with the dogs and it was foggy. We stayed out for about 40 minutes and perhaps this was too long, I don't know. He seemed well wrapped up and the cold had apparently vanished. Next morning he was struggling to breathe.

pofacedandproud Tue 20-Oct-09 13:16:54

very scary. glad he's ok.

abra1d Tue 20-Oct-09 13:19:34

Thanks, pofaced.

abra1d Tue 20-Oct-09 13:19:37

Thanks, pofaced.

tiredsville Tue 20-Oct-09 13:45:54

Scary, did your sister take the Tamiflu at the earlier stages?
Just wondering, as I am an asthmatic and was interested whether or not tamiflu hinders anything secondary from occuring in asthmatics.

Ewe Tue 20-Oct-09 13:50:11

My GP mentioned this when I saw her yesterday as I am currently recovering from swine flu and have a secondary chest infection requiring steroids and antibiotics.

Was told to be very careful and at any signs of it getting worse go straight to A&E. I am a fit (ish) 22 year old so imagine it's a bigger risk for more vulnerable members of society.

SCARYspicemonster Tue 20-Oct-09 14:14:10

No she didn't tiredsville (she was going on holiday that day) but I think if she had taken it, it may well have prevented it from developing into pneumonia.

tiredsville Tue 20-Oct-09 14:40:06

thanks for replying Scary, I will take note...

LeninGhoul Wed 21-Oct-09 07:28:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pofacedandproud Wed 21-Oct-09 12:36:49

funny that the UK aren't pushing it, Lenin, am wondering about getting ds done now.

pofacedandproud Wed 21-Oct-09 12:37:06

And me.

pofacedandproud Wed 21-Oct-09 16:51:15

this
However seems to contradict the idea that Pneumococcal vaccine for adults has a useful protective effect. Comments please!

pofacedandproud Wed 21-Oct-09 19:31:47

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now