Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dd2 really poorly

(31 Posts)
Marne Sat 17-Oct-09 19:23:08

Im not great with ill children and i have a phobia of vomiting so please exscuse me if i am being OTT.

I posted earlier about dd2 having possible swine flu. I managed to get her temp down and she spent most of the afternoon asleep. At tea time she ate a few chips and managed to sit up but was then violently sick. Dd2 has never been sick so she must feel really rough. After she was sick she seemed to get some colour back in her face and managed a smile but is now floppy again. Her temp is still around 38.0 so i have phoned the out of hour doctor. I don't know if i have done the right thing but didn't want to phone the flu line and talk to some idiot. I am waiting for a call back from the doctor.

Does this still sound like SW or could it be a tummy bug?

I am sat here shaking at the thought of us all getting a tummy bug, i can't cope with vomiting.

She's 3.5 BTW and has Autism, have a done the right thing by phoning the doctor?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 17-Oct-09 19:24:32

You have done the right thing by phoning the doctor if she is floppy. Could be a lot of things but with under fives if they show floppiness it always needs a review by a medic. Try not to worry though, they do bounce back very quickly.

Marne Sat 17-Oct-09 19:26:04

Thank you, she's hardly drunk anything all day and hasn't drunk since she was sick sad, i am worried she will dehydrate.

whippet Sat 17-Oct-09 19:27:08

Poor you. Of course you've done the right thing. I'm nto good with blood or vomiting either, but it's the unwritten part of the parent job description... hmm

If she's vomiting you'll need to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. And if she has a temperature then you're doing the right thing to control that. I found ice lollies made from weak squash or ribena helped.

Good luck.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 17-Oct-09 19:28:57

Another thing you can do, if she's finding it really hard to get/keep anything down, is use a calpol/neurofen syringe to get in 5ml at a time of squash. 5ml is rarely enough to trigger the stomachs vomit reflex if it is poorly but if you do that every ten minutes or so you are quickly rehydrating her.

Heated Sat 17-Oct-09 19:29:01

Cool baths and alternating between calpol and nurofen really help bring down the temperature - and will reduce the likelihood of being sick too.

Ds too I think has swine flu - sent dh out for the anti-virals today but am fortunate he's not too poorly. Think you are being totally sensible to check with the GP service. When is the out of hours doc coming?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 17-Oct-09 19:31:06

BTW eventually you do get used to all the vomiting. My two have covered me head to foot and I now don't bat an eyelid hmm Worst one was DD who when she had a D&V bug and she vomited all over me and as I was picking her up naked out of a bath to get her dressed, did a steamy stream of poo down my leg. Oh how we laughed hmm

Actually in retrospect it is very funny!

coolkat Sat 17-Oct-09 19:33:12

Ohh bless you. Our DD2 today 11 months has had a high temperature all day at its highest 39.9 and lowest 38.5 despite calpol and cool clothing. There are some nasty virus's at the minute.

We saw the out of hours doctor and he was more than happy to have seen her <although I felt a little useless> we have to take her back tom if still high temp.

I hope she feels better soon and wish us both a good night. X

Marne Sat 17-Oct-09 19:37:44

The doc is phoning us (only spoke to a lady on the phone who passes the messages on to gp) so could be a while, they might not come out to see us, they are likely to tell me to take her to see the gp at local hospital (which dd2 will hate).

I'm still shaking, i think its the thought of me getting it and being sick that worries me (i would rather chop my leg off than be sick), i have cleaned everything and used anti bac spray. I can handle poo, just not the other end.

corblimeymadam Sat 17-Oct-09 19:38:46

Message withdrawn

whomovedmychocolate Sat 17-Oct-09 19:41:03

The vomiting bit doesn't last long Marne. DS was only sick a few times, he was sick for ten days but only sick on day 2. However it did ahem go south. So good job you are okay about that end!

Have you checked her for a rash?

Pyrocanthus Sat 17-Oct-09 19:52:05

Marne, if you really want a doc to come to you, explain about your DD's autism and say how much it will distress her.

You were definitely right to call doc and not flu line - that's just there to dole out Tamiflu.

Hope she picks up soon, and that you avoid it yourself.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 17-Oct-09 19:57:23

I would also stress that you cannot attend OOH clinic at the hospital because of her disability - that is a very legitimate reason not to go and there are on call doctors who can visit - but obviously they prefer you turn up unless you are very ill. (Hope you aren't offended by me referring to autism as a disability, I don't know the correct word for what I'm trying to say - impairment perhaps).

Marne Sun 18-Oct-09 09:47:00

Good morning all (or not so good), we had to take her to see the doctor at the hospital, luckily my mum came with me as dh was looking after dd1. The doctor said they cant say its SF as her temp had come back down (with SF it stays up for a few days) but she has all the other symptoms. He said its likely to be a virus (which is what they always say), he examined her and said she was starting to get dehydrated but to leave it until the morning and bring her back in if she doesnt drink by 8am.

Well now its 9.45 and dd2 still hasn't woke up (only to look at me a few times), she had a few sips of drink in the night but is still very unwell.

I don't know what to do now as she has had a tiny amount to drink and has had a wet nappy but she still looks so poorly. Do i take her back in or do i wait and see if she bucks up in the next few hours. Her temp is down but she's very lifeless/sleepy. Shall i just let her sleep it off?

What are the signs of dehydration that i should be looking for other than a dry nappy?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 18-Oct-09 09:50:27

I would take her back in if she has only had a few sips.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 18-Oct-09 09:52:22

or actually, you could call them and say she has only drunk a few sips and see what they say?

hugmeandcatchthelurgi Sun 18-Oct-09 09:56:36

Hugs Marne, I have the same phobia and its rotten

I would leave her an hour or so see if she wakes up and drinks, if not get her back.

Shes had a wet nappy which is good, the skin can get dry quicky and if you pinch her hand the skin will stay raised for longer.

Syringing 5mls or so of water every 15 mins is good advice.

Some times they do just need to sleep it off, we had an awful virus a while back and DD1 slept for nearly 4 days

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 18-Oct-09 10:14:11

I understand how hard it is BTW, my DD is not well at the moment either and also has ASD, it's so much harder when they can't tell you how they are feeling!!

Marne Sun 18-Oct-09 10:20:12

She's awake now, well eyes open, i wish she could talk to me (may be she would tell me to leave her alone and stop fussing), its horrid isn't it Fanjo?

She looks so pale sad.

She's trying to watch c-beebies but keeps falling asleep, i don't want to rush her back to hospital as it seems unfair to move her plus the doctor said if i bring her back they will put her on anti-biotics and tamiflu (which will make her feel worse).

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 18-Oct-09 10:25:28

Can you phone them and ask for advice?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 18-Oct-09 10:25:52

I have to go out now, I hope all goes well...

FlightAttendant Sun 18-Oct-09 10:35:01

Marne,. sleepiness is a sign of dehydration.

Can you offer her a little water in a syringe, or on a spoon? Maybe juice/squash?

They might not put her on tamiflu and you don't have to consent to that - it's pointless unless given early in the illness anyway.
But they might rehydrate her with an IV if she could handle that, often helps masses, even just for a couple of hours.

Hope she is better soon xx

Marne Sun 18-Oct-09 10:35:36

I have just phoned the out of hours GP, just waiting for them to call back.

Thanks Fanjo- hope your lo feels better soon xx

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 18-Oct-09 17:14:19

Hope everything is OK...

Elibean Sun 18-Oct-09 18:10:31

Just seen this, Marne, my dds had a vomiting bug with high temps a few weeks ago - the vomiting stopped after 12 hours (dd1), 24 (dd2) but dd2, who is nearly 3, stayed pale and exhausted for a good few days...temp went down after 36 hours, iirc.

Definitely try syringing 5 or 10 mls at a time of water (if she's still sicking it up) or weak squash, it really works - if she can tolerate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now