Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

paed has suggested giving asthmatic dd the vaccine...

(13 Posts)
scariboo Sat 17-Oct-09 15:18:08

...but not happy about it. Apparently the long-term effects of the vaccine might include neurological complications. I asked the paed his opinion on this & he said that all vaccines have a degree of risk involved and that the benefit of protecting the vulnerable outweighs the slight chance of an adverse effect.

Is this just medical talk the talk, walk the walk?

TitsalinaBumsquash Sat 17-Oct-09 15:24:12

Hmm, i have been told it is really important for my DS to have it, he has Cystic Fibrosis and i quizzed his Dr on it forages, he said he was happy for his own children to have it and thats enough for me, i trust him and i know his children are the most important thing to him. DS will be having it asap.

scariboo Sat 17-Oct-09 15:32:41

I trust our paed too but am still concernedsad

mooseloose Sat 17-Oct-09 15:48:34

I could have written this thread! Thats what i came online to do!
Doc wants asthmatic, bit eczema prone, sometimes face swelling allergic (to ?)ds to have this. I have an appointment next Wed to discuss, but I am nervous too. He also says he needs a flu jab, which he has never had either. he is 7. Will watch this thread with interest. thanks.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 17-Oct-09 21:05:15

After seeing what a nasty virus did to dds asthma recently, she is def having the jab. Problem with this flu is that in some people it is causing really nasty viral pneumonia. It is pretty different to seasonal which generally stays as an upper respiratory infection.

herbietea Sat 17-Oct-09 21:13:31

Message withdrawn

mooseloose Sat 17-Oct-09 22:29:23

Just talking to me neighbour and sge says the second flu jab the doc wants him to have is probably for pneumonia rather than swine. She says they always give pneumonia the first time they give a flu jab.

herbietea Sat 17-Oct-09 22:32:50

Message withdrawn

bellissima Sat 17-Oct-09 22:38:49

scariboo - I'm not going to seek to influence you on whether or not you decide to go for the jab - that's your decision which i respect - but when the 'paed' proposed it did he/she have the power and means to give it? See my other thread on this - my DC is asthmatic - I want the vaccination - but it appears my GP's surgery might arbitrarily refuse to give it. Can I sign up with a paediatrician? how? where? grateful for any advice?

scariboo Mon 19-Oct-09 17:07:10

bellissima, I wish I could help you but our paed is here in Switzerland. Most GPs here won't treat children because they feel they're not qualified to do so. Bit of a difference from the "family doctor" days!

slightlycrumpled Mon 19-Oct-09 18:04:00

DS2 has a comprimised immune system and is asthmatic. He has the flu and pneumonia jab every year and I think we will go ahead with the swine flu jab too.

We saw his immunologist who advised it, followed by the usual blood tests to check immunity.

It really is such a worry though.

bellisima If your DD is asthmatic you are probably entitled to ask your GP for a referal to a paed or respiratory consultant.

mooseloose Wed 21-Oct-09 22:07:09

We went to docs today, and the second jab she is on about is a flu booster a month after the first one is given. had no info to give me yet about swine flu for him......

weblette Wed 21-Oct-09 22:16:14

Ds2 (5) has already had the normal flu vac, and we've also been advised by his paed to get the swine flu one as soon as we can.

His asthma is triggered by respiratory viruses and seeing how bad he is this week on a tiny sniffle, I don't feel we have any choice but to give him it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now