Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu jabs, Adjuvants and Pre-Eclampsia

(13 Posts)
TheBlairSnitchProject Thu 15-Oct-09 08:33:24

Just saw Justine on Sky News with relation to this story...here

And then, while looking up immune respose in pregnancy on the net, found this here

As I've had PE in my previous pregnancy (am now 29 weeks) there is no way I would risk having this jab and further increasing my risk of getting it again!

Would you?

Immune reposnse in pregnancy is finely balanced, PE or not, if you can't guarantee having the Adjuvant-free jab, would you still risk it?

ABetaDad Thu 15-Oct-09 08:47:37

Saw the start of the interview. Shame it was on when most parents will be taking DCs to school. Hope it gets repeate dlater or we can get a link to a video of it on teh front page later.

Eamon Holmes asked the question whether women would be given the choice of having the vaccine without the adjuvent in it and the answer Profesor David Salisbury gave did not leave me feeling comfortable. I am sure that what he said is completely techncally and mediclly correct but the message and the response of women listening to it is what is important here.

I am afraid this has all the makings of the MMR debate with mothers refusing to be vaccinated and Govt refusing to allow choice.

I do not understand why women cannot be given the choice. Mumsnet is getting name checked a lot so expect lots of visitors.

PapaD Thu 15-Oct-09 14:23:10

What we saw was Dr Salisbury squirming about the non testing of the advujent jab and that there would be no choice in many cases about which vaccine. My daughter is 34 asthmatic and 6 months along. Sceptical about the vaccine and this makes it worse. How dare they?It goes against WHO advice hence Dr Salisburys obvious discomfort. They have mismanaged the supply of vaccine,failed to prioritise pregnant women and expect people not to question them. Please if you can, make a noise about this. Surely their first duty is to protect us and our right to have a family as safely as possible? This is quite simply outrageous

hannahsaunt Thu 15-Oct-09 16:08:17

I am very conflicted - v pro vaccs in general as is dh who is a doctor. He doesn't think I should have the swine flu vac (not least because of the thimeresol question in the UK vaccine) but now there have been 2 deaths of 2 pregnant women with no underlying health issues in 24 hours ... at 22 weeks what would you do???

ABetaDad Thu 15-Oct-09 16:09:03

I see a pregnant teenager has dies of swine flu as reported by Sky

Following the death, Scotland's Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon urged all pregnant women to get vaccinated to protect themselves and their babies.

She said: "The death of this young mother-to-be and her baby is deeply saddening and my thoughts are with her family and friends.

"Medical experts have been telling us that pregnant women are more vulnerable to developing complications after contracting the virus.

"For this reason, they will be among the priority groups for vaccination when the H1N1 vaccine becomes available later this month."
"

A very sad story indeed. It is therefore very important that pregnant women should be vaccinated and I suggest that the authorities ensure that the WHO approved non adjuvent vaccine be prioritised to pregant women so they feel ompletely safe to have it and there is a big uptake without further controversey.

hannahsaunt Thu 15-Oct-09 16:19:06

A non adjuvent drug is being trialled in pregnancy in teh US - study started a week ago with results due next July (!) - can't find the brand name of what they are using but would be very interested to find out and if it's going to be available here (assuming there are no immediately obvious dire consequences smile)

laurawantsababy Thu 15-Oct-09 18:31:29

Im 25 weeks pg with a 16 mo dd and just dont know what to do.

After seeing more deaths of pregnant women from only swine flu I think the jab makes sense. But, if it hasnt been tested properly how do we know our babies are safe?

Maybe in the next few days they will change their minds and offer us the one they have tested.

Would you still have it though??

TheBlairSnitchProject Thu 15-Oct-09 19:51:26

I'm 99% sure I won't have it. I'm almost 30 weeks now. I don't want it trialed on me or my unborn child.

They thought Thalydomide was safe until babies started being born without arms and legs remember!

DarrellRivers Thu 15-Oct-09 19:53:44

16/40
On balance safer to have vaccine than not
I have responsibilities to my other children as well

ABetaDad Thu 15-Oct-09 20:03:23

I assume most people feel happy to have the WHO aproved Celvapan which does not have adjuvant in then?

This so reminds me of the agonies me and DW went through over MMR a decade ago when DSs were born and now yet another generation of parents being faced with a beligerent Govt unwilling to allow them a choice over the future health of their children.

TheBlairSnitchProject Thu 15-Oct-09 20:21:33

It's the Preeclampsia aspect that totally outs me off the adjuvent-ed one... If that BBC report is acurate then I would get very ill - again!

100% would not have the adjuvent one

99% would not have the other either

whomovedmychocolate Thu 15-Oct-09 20:27:44

thiomersal turns to ethyl mercury in the body and is excreted within a week - yes for a week that means you have mercury in your body but if you eat two portions of tuna/swordfish a week you get the same level of mercury.

I'm quite interested in the idea of PET being caused by autoimmune response though - esp the idea that the more partners the more likely - that is fascinating. Much like the cervical cancer virii we are only just starting to understand the biological reactions to things much later on.

Personally I'd like it very much if no-one had to make this choice because I think it's one that you are going to regret either way - if you have the jab and get swine flu, bad news; if you have the jab and don't get swine flu but get PET because your blood pressure is raised so much from worrying about the jab, bad news, and if you don't have the jab, get swine flu and die or miscarry, really bad news

Musukebba Wed 21-Oct-09 22:39:03

I would advise people not to put their faith in single reports that appear to demonstrate one thing or another; even in reputable scientific journals. Findings have to be at least repeatable in other independent scientific hands before any credibility can be ascribed.

Also to the OP: why exactly do you think adjuvanted swine flu vaccine has a cause-and-effect relationship with PE?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now