Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else had a crucifying headache and back pain with swine flu?

(15 Posts)
WhatFreshHellIsThis Tue 13-Oct-09 11:07:05

Recovering from swine flu - had classic very high temps for a few days, now feel exhausted, sore throat, the runs etc. So far so predictable.

But also have a really really bad headache, as in I need nurofen AND paracetamol to keep it in check and can still feel it. Also ache in my back, about three quarters of the way up, around my spine. Feels like it jars every time I walk. The headache feels very sinusy/pressure type, worse when I move my head or bend down.

No sensitivity to light or neck ache, so don't think it's anything critical, but has anyone else had this? Would feel reassured to know it was something others had experienced.

Thanks!

corblimeymadam Tue 13-Oct-09 11:16:17

Message withdrawn

WhatFreshHellIsThis Tue 13-Oct-09 11:20:47

Thanks belgianbun! was just a bit worried as it's much worse than any I've had before. And normally I get back pain quite low down with flu, whereas this is very high up.

Sure it's nothing to worry about, though. Just feel rough as old boots sad

scariboo Tue 13-Oct-09 11:47:45

OMG - I think I've got it! [horror] And dh is going away today. How's it different from normal flu??

WhatFreshHellIsThis Tue 13-Oct-09 11:52:01

Not really different from real flu, rather than from the heavy colds that people claim are flu every year, iyswim!

So far, I've had:

- very high temperature (from Fri night to Sun night) - chills, sweats, the lot
- really bad headache, joint pains, aches
- upset tummy and no interest in food
- backache
- complete exhaustion!

Keep taking paracetamol regularly, alternate with nurofen when it's really bad, and you'll be ok.

Hope you feel better soon.

Elibean Tue 13-Oct-09 14:02:21

Back and headache are common with flu, but if back ache gets worse - and is high up, sort of between shoulder blades - it could be related to a chest infection (dh gets bad back pain when he has one, and/or asthma) so worth seeing doc.

Otherwise, keep resting as much as poss and taking those painkillers, you poor thing...get better soon!

WhatFreshHellIsThis Tue 13-Oct-09 14:16:44

That's exactly where it is, Elibean. And i coughed this morning and it hurt like hell just there.

Is there a chance it will go away by itself or should i see doc?

scariboo Tue 13-Oct-09 17:12:14

got all of that, steadily worse since fri but no fever & no coughing... so can't be SF, right?

Elibean Tue 13-Oct-09 18:21:53

WhatFreshHell, I would see doc, tbh. If it IS a chest infection, it won't go away on its own and needs tackling with ABs asap. Don't just show up though, do ring and talk to one on the phone - tell them you think you may have SF but also have painful chest/back pain and need to be seen.

You never know, they may do a home visit hmm

scariboo: I do'nt know, apparently it can, rarely, be without fever but very unusual if so. Lots of other horrid viruses to choose from, of course - sorry you're feeling so rough, either way!

Elibean Tue 13-Oct-09 18:21:54

WhatFreshHell, I would see doc, tbh. If it IS a chest infection, it won't go away on its own and needs tackling with ABs asap. Don't just show up though, do ring and talk to one on the phone - tell them you think you may have SF but also have painful chest/back pain and need to be seen.

You never know, they may do a home visit hmm

scariboo: I do'nt know, apparently it can, rarely, be without fever but very unusual if so. Lots of other horrid viruses to choose from, of course - sorry you're feeling so rough, either way!

thegauntlet Wed 14-Oct-09 11:39:10

i have that so bad! i went to the walk in centre last night and after passing out got pushed through to a and e where i was 'monitored' for 4 hours then sent away wearing a face mask like i had the plague.

i feel like i am dying! i have my first scan on friday and am so so sore. sympathy please!

WhatFreshHellIsThis Wed 14-Oct-09 12:19:37

Home visit ahahahahahshsahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! grin

WhatFreshHellIsThis Wed 14-Oct-09 14:13:21

Just spoke to doc on the phone (complicated swine flu prevention systems etc etc) and he reckons it's unlikely to be a lung infection but would like me to come in so he can have a listen. He doesn't think I'm too infectious as I haven't got a cough or coldy symptoms at the moment.

Headache is a lot better, back still hurts though.

scariboo Wed 14-Oct-09 17:40:13

oh, poor Fresh & Gauntlet - much sympathy. I think I've just got the normal one as am feeling marginally better today - thank God!

Elibean Wed 14-Oct-09 21:42:15

Poor all of you!

Fresh, glad the head is better...hopefully the back will follow, and am also glad you're getting checked out. Better safe etc.

Did think I might get that reaction mentioning home visits, though maybe in some small hamlets the very elderly, very young, and very ill still get the occasional one....or am I just being wistful...grin

Get well soon, all three of you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now