Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I breastfeed my 5 month old while I have swine flu?

(7 Posts)
KEAWYED Mon 12-Oct-09 07:48:26

Thats it basically.

Would it build his resistence up or make him worse

KEAWYED Mon 12-Oct-09 08:16:26

Please

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 12-Oct-09 10:59:37

I breastfed my month old baby when I had flu. dd did get it but the gp said that the only reason she wasn't being hospitalised was because she was being breastfed. (then told me to feed her every 2 hours day and night, utter utter hell, I was too weak to even hold her)
I think it will help his resistance as he will have your antibodies and other cool stuff from the milk plus breast milk is ideal for keeping babies hydrated if they do get poorly.

ChairmumMiaow Mon 12-Oct-09 11:10:47

KEAWYD -

this might help

belgo Mon 12-Oct-09 11:12:16

yes carry on breastfeeding him, make sure you keep your fluid intake up.

KEAWYED Mon 12-Oct-09 13:05:58

Thanks.

I've fed him a couple of times but my mums took him while my husabnds just gone to work.

Cant physically pick him up.

Feel so sad being away from the children

Elibean Mon 12-Oct-09 13:21:16

You poor love, having full on flu makes you feel helpless enough without being in the middle of BFing.

I had violent food poisoning whilst BFing my dd1, so understand the weakness - well done for doing it, hope you're better v v soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now