Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Temp of over 40, cough, sore throat, headache - does she need tamiflu?

(16 Posts)
tinateaspoon Fri 02-Oct-09 13:57:56

Just done the online thing and its given me a code for tamiflu. oh what do I do I am so rubbish at decisions?

DD has just turned 3 and is sleeping lots, have just given calpol so will check temp again soon. She will rouse but just want to lie down. I was trying to get her to touch her chin to her chest, but she wouldn't - not sure if its because it hurts or just that she thinks its an odd thing to do.

Please help, what would you do?

tinateaspoon Fri 02-Oct-09 14:07:35

Half and hour after Calpol temp is now 40.1. Will phone NHS direct

cremolafoam Fri 02-Oct-09 14:09:00

yes phone GP

trefusis Fri 02-Oct-09 14:11:58

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 02-Oct-09 14:19:54

Message withdrawn

tinateaspoon Fri 02-Oct-09 14:22:02

Thanks, NHS direct just put me on to flu line which is the same as I have done on line so called dr and GP will ring back.

Trefusis I tried to get her to look at belly button but she won't

scarletlilybug Fri 02-Oct-09 14:35:04

I have found Ibuprofen effective at reducing a fever, when paracetemol (Calpol) has had little or no effect. Worth a try? (you can get child-friendly formulations). You can use it as well as calpol or alternate between the two.

dikkertjedap Fri 02-Oct-09 14:35:30

Any better? for three year old could also use ibuprofen (e.g. calprofen) in addition to calpol. I tend in such situations to keep a diary so I know exactly how much dd gets of which medicine at which time and I spread the two medications out over the 24 hour period and keep giving until temperature is tailing off to avoid sudden peaks. Also sponging with tepid water and light clothes or just a sheet might help.

We gave our dd (3 years and 4 months at the time)Tamiflu when my husband was suspected of having swine flu (was a week later confirmed when test results came back), she did not get ill and got one dose a day (mixed with lots (petit filous size pot full of M&S belgian chocolate sauce) and had no side effects, I took it as well and again did not get ill (did have headache though). DH was pretty ill but after tamiflu improved quite quickly definitely helped getting fever under control (did not manage that with paracetamol and nurofen). However, better to check with GP in case she got something else. All the best.

Elibean Fri 02-Oct-09 14:38:53

Yes, do check with GP. Two small boys (2 and nearly 3) I know of had Tamiflu, no side effects, fast drop in temp....and two little girls, one vomited with most doses, one was fine. Varies a lot, I think.

Hope she's better v soon.

herbietea Fri 02-Oct-09 14:44:17

Message withdrawn

tinateaspoon Fri 02-Oct-09 14:58:57

Thanks for all messages, I am still waiting for the dr to call back. Is Ibuprofen ok on an empty stomach, she hasn't eaten since yesterday lunchtime? I will pick up the tamiflu when DH gets home, it will be a 30 mile round trip. And then I can decide whether to use it, it seems people can react differently to it.

What a worry sad. I'm having some tests myself next week and the dog isnt well either. It never rains but it pours - between doctors consultants and vets I feel quite dizzy.

tinateaspoon Fri 02-Oct-09 15:53:37

Dr just phoned, he doesnt think its SF but wants to see her. Funny though he said using the internet was not a good idea, but their own phone message when you ring tells you to call or log on to NHS direct if suffering flu symptoms - you can't win! Her temp just below 40 now thank goodness.

sarah293 Fri 02-Oct-09 16:11:54

Message withdrawn

bramblebooks Fri 02-Oct-09 16:15:09

good luck. It's better to have a little on your stomach when you take ibuprofen as it can cause vomiting on an empty one (as I know from graphic experience of ds1!)

Elibean Fri 02-Oct-09 17:28:33

Good luck, glad the GP wants to see her (think its always best with small ones, our local GPs always see them).

When both dds had vomiting bugs with high temps recently, doctor said it was fine to give ibuprofen on empty stomach (very empty, in their cases!).

tinateaspoon Fri 02-Oct-09 20:58:24

Well she's got tonsilitis and not the SF. Poor thing still has high temp so am alternating calpol and ibuprofen, hope the antibiotics kick in soon. She is very miserable. I remember how ill I felt when I had it.

Thanks for all advice smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now