Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If it looks like a pig and smells like a pig ...

(5 Posts)
baconsandwich Tue 29-Sep-09 23:39:12

My 6 yo DS (who is never ill) has for the last 6 days had fever of 39/40 degrees, vomiting, headache, aches and pains, runny nose, cough and viral rash. I have never seen him so unwell and it's unusal in that it got worse and worse until day 6 (today) and only then started to improve. Have spoken to both usual GP and out of hours GP service when he was at his illest for reassurance and advice and all they will say is "he has a virus". Why won't anyone say he has flu? I know it makes not a jot of difference to his treatment but it perplexes me. And makes me wonder how they can possibly be calculating the numbers of new cases of swine flu ?

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 30-Sep-09 13:50:47

I think they calculate it it using things like sentinel surgeries that do swab people and also taking swabs when clusters are developing.

However, it sounds like a horrid thing your ds has, whatever it is. Do you know if there are other similar cases at his school? I hope he feels better soon.

Elibean Wed 30-Sep-09 14:55:42

I think its a tad frustrating that some GPs are labelling every passing virus 'swine flu' and others do the opposite - though it must be as confusing to them as the rest of us, presumably, without swabs.

Poor ds, hope he mends fast now that its begun to get better, whtaever it is (does sound a lot like SF to me, tbh - but I'm not a swab).

baconsandwich Wed 30-Sep-09 15:23:23

Yes that's true it must be confusing for them too and maybe easier to just tell everyone it's a viral illness, which of course it is. DS1 much better today but had to go and collect DS2 from school early as he had headache and high temp. Hey ho ...

herbietea Wed 30-Sep-09 15:29:52

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now