Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swine flu vaccine trial

(26 Posts)
lovetolosethatjellybelly Fri 25-Sep-09 14:55:44

what do people think about enrolling your child into this swine vaccine trial that are taking place in the next few weeks?www.swineflutrial.org There seems to be centres around Oxford, bristol, southampton and london i think. they want to see which of the two different types of swine flu vaccines are more effective in children. I am tempted to enrol my child, as i have been told there have been children who died or have been seriously ill from it. Even if the flu is mild, he will have to be off nursery for a week so I have to take leave too. do you think that is selfish? hmm

sarah293 Fri 25-Sep-09 14:57:32

Message withdrawn

VulpusinaWilfsuit Fri 25-Sep-09 15:03:58

I would consider it, myself, but carefully.

I think the current vaccine is based on current flu vaccine technology and that is different from the stuff produced in the 70s. And the issues that are risks with any vaccine are the same with the SF one, as with ANY other new vaccine.

A very small risk of complications. Possibly outweighed by the benefits to both one's own kids and the population at large.

I'd be interested to see more research on the trials in Australia before I made my decision but would consider it if there were a trial near me.

Elibean Fri 25-Sep-09 16:40:40

Probably what VW said. But both mine have either asthma or restricted airway issues, and both have had seasonal flu vaccines with no sides whatsoever in the past.

sarah293 Fri 25-Sep-09 16:50:01

Message withdrawn

Elibean Fri 25-Sep-09 20:08:30

And if I had any immune issues in my family, I wouldn't do it either.

Amazing about your Mum, Riven - here's wishing her (and you and dd, obviously) another healthy winter!

cheerfulvicky Sat 26-Sep-09 08:04:38

No way would I let them road test a new vaccine on my child.
They claim its so they can decide which of the two are more effective for children. I think they're still working out if either of them are safe at all. The whole thing makes me very uncomfortable. No no no.

sarah293 Sat 26-Sep-09 16:00:01

Message withdrawn

Musukebba Sun 27-Sep-09 00:14:24

Riven there's lots of degrees of immunocompromise depending on the pathology, and inactivated vaccines do work in some categories. Usually the wild-type viruses are better at causing disease than the vaccines; especially the new pandemic influenza.

BTW the 1976 swine vaccine was made very differently to those today and was not adjuvanted.

dikkertjedap Mon 28-Sep-09 10:58:21

Riven - your mum might have been very unlucky. I get the seasonal flu vaccine every year and whilst my husband had a very bad bout of flu at the start of this year I was fine, same the previous years.

MrsBadger Mon 28-Sep-09 11:59:26

I have just been invited to enrol dd

she is 2, fit and healthy and tough as old boots and I am not generally anti-vaccine.

I am dithering

if it was me myself I'd do it, but it's not, it's dd...

purpleduck Mon 28-Sep-09 12:06:20

They are TESTING it - to see if it works, and what the side effects are.

No bloody way would I let something be tested on my kids.

nope

MrsBadger Mon 28-Sep-09 12:12:03

but if everyone said that there would never be a vaccine at all

purpleduck Mon 28-Sep-09 12:17:52

But they still don't know if it is safe for people! My job is to keep them safe from harm - and letting someone test something on them is - i believe- potentially very harmful to them.

pofacedandproud Mon 28-Sep-09 12:22:50

Musukebba ~I thought your opinion was that the '76 vaccine had not caused GBS? smile

MrsBadger Mon 28-Sep-09 12:23:13

former iterations of both vaccines have been tested in adults already.

the ethics are impeccable (have checked)

it is a risk vs benefit scenario - I could keep dd 'safe from harm' by never letting her go outside, OR I could risk her coming to harm by eg going swimming, walking along walls etc

purpleduck Mon 28-Sep-09 12:34:04

Exactly Mrs Badger
I wish to keep my kids safe from this type of harm by keeping them as healthy as I can - and hope they don't get it.. but NOT letting them be tested on

MrsBadger Mon 28-Sep-09 12:40:24

and what of all those asthmatic etc children like Elibean's who stand to benefit from the vaccine but can't have it tested on them?

Elibean Mon 28-Sep-09 12:54:36

Can't she? Is there more risk of sides to an asthmatic child, then?

<ignoramus emoticon>

MrsBadger Mon 28-Sep-09 13:02:01

[reads conditions more carefully]

actually it seems they can elibean, so long as they haven't had steroid tablets or syrup for more than 1 week within the previous 3 months (steroid inhalers or creams are allowed)

but still, you get my point

Elibean Mon 28-Sep-09 13:24:30

I do smile

Thanks for clarifying.

Musukebba Mon 28-Sep-09 13:41:50

Hi pofaced: I'm not sure I said that but if you could let me know where, I can have another look.

My position is that the evidence supports an association between the 1976 vaccine campaign and a higher than expected incidence of GBS (8-9 cases per million as opposed to around 1 per million). An association isn't the same as causation though, and I might have pointed out that contamination of the vaccine with bacterial endotoxins has been suggested as a factor (campylobacter and salmonella for example). Also you can never be sure that a rise in GBS wasn't an entirely coincidental thing. When so many people were vaccinated, it increases the chance that something else may be a causative factor yet it gets included in the data on vaccination safety.

whoops Mon 28-Sep-09 16:00:00

we've had letters sent home from school today inviting children to take part in the trial, Part of me wonders whether to but part isn't sure because of the side effects

mmrsceptic Mon 28-Sep-09 16:05:25

No way, it's crazy. If there is an adverse effect, if not enough others suffer it, it will be labelled a coincidence and not caused by the vaccine. So it won't even be worth it "scientifically".

maxybrown Tue 29-Sep-09 10:44:04

Riven that is interesting what you say about your mum.

DH had flu vaccine 2 years ago for first time ever. he is a teacher and the school offered it to all members of staff for free......he was ill for ages afterwards, normally he is very well. never again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now