Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Need a reminder what to do with suspected flu and asthma please

(26 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 24-Sep-09 09:14:49

I know this is silly blush I thought I was pretty confident about what we would do if dd developed flu like symptoms but now that it seems it might be here I'm all of a dither. Just looking for reassurance.

dd has asthma. Usually ok unless she has an infection. She was fine when she went out last night. When she came back 2 hours later dh said she was coughing, had a temp and a bad headache. There were 7 off in her class yesterday.

This morning she got out of bed coughing quite a tight cough. Propped herself up against the wall to stand up. I asked if she was ok. She told me she was fine hmm and could go to school. Sat down for breakfast clearly very poorly (but determined!). Took her temp and its 39.5 Shes tucked up on the sofa coughing, with a bad head and very tired and achy.

So. Have given her calpol. 1 puff of bricanyl and 2 pulmicort. Lots of fluid drinking already going on. Have put ice pops in freezer. Her cough sounds less tight now, sounding more like 'just a nasty cough'. Have phoned gp surgery and asked for a telephone consult. They were lovely and said of course I could have one.

So, am I doing the right thing so far? anything else I could be doing? I know its silly but flu scares me a bit when it comes to asthma.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 24-Sep-09 09:34:33

gp has phoned back. was lovely lovely man and has asked to see her. If I wasn't potentially infectious I'd kiss him for being so understanding!

comewhinewithme Thu 24-Sep-09 09:43:18

Hope she is ok asthma is so scary my dp and dd have it.

You sound like you are doing all the right things.

Let us know how you get on at gp's.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 24-Sep-09 09:51:13

thank you comewhine. I will do. dd doesn't want to go to the doctor - she says she doesnt want to move. so unlike her.
school tried to convince me it was a bad cold that has swept through her class this week. I know the difference between a 'bad cold' and a flu-like illness.

gp says he wants to rule out other illnesses even though government guidelines are that people with flu like illnesses don't need to be seen. I feel very privileged to have such a good gp surgery.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 24-Sep-09 12:24:12

gp unsure - could be flu or could be nasty unspecific virus. Her temp was down to 38 there. So thats better Shes a bit wheezy though so lots of inhalers. holding off on tamiflu until we see how she is tomorrow.

Musukebba Thu 24-Sep-09 18:14:49

Hi OYBBK: sorry to hear of your plight; sincerely hope things are all right with your little DD...

If you have to give the Tamiflu, it is said to be less nausea-inducing if given after food (but I realise with a low appetite level this may be rather impractical advice).

Salsavita Thu 24-Sep-09 18:33:03

OhyouBK - I have been the same with DS1 (12), he has asthma and since last week has not been very well at all and has a tight cough. I managed to get an appointment yesterday with the gp and DS was struggling to breathe when he walked..

Anyhooo, luckily she ruled out swine flu, but gave us antibiotics for a chest and ear infection. He had an ear infection on holiday in August and when we got back the gp gave us some antibiotic drops for his ear and it obviously hasn't cleared up enough and has restarted with this cold.

Hope your dd feels better soon smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 24-Sep-09 19:51:35

Thanks Musukebba and Salsavita

Thank you for the tip on tamiflu. Thats good to know. Talking to others on the phone, it is utterly rampant at school (whatever it is).

Although her temp seems to be back up to 39 she doesnt seem terribly poorly thank goodness. Shes well enough to have the telly on (and to get bored listening to story cds) but not well enough to do anything. Cough is pretty tight sounding but her breathing is not bad.

Salsavita, I hope the antibiotics kick in quickly and that he recovers soon too

Salsavita Thu 24-Sep-09 20:01:45

Thanks Kitten smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 26-Sep-09 09:26:28

unsure whether to try and get her seen today. Was difficulty to get her asthma settled in the middle of the night. Should have got her seen then but wasn't thinking quite clearly. Seems under control at moment, just has a general cough but thats two difficult nights in a row.
thoughts please - running on almost no sleep since thursday and can't think clearly.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 26-Sep-09 10:13:36

I figured if I'm asking here then I should probably at least be speaking to a doctor, so am waiting for a call back.

Musukebba Sun 27-Sep-09 00:27:10

Hi OYBBK: sorry, I missed this...

Can't remember how old she is, but:
Is her >38degC fever still there (paracetamol or otherwise)..?
Respiratory (<30) and pulse rate (<90) normal..?
ANy signs of intercostal retractions (skin between her ribs flexing inwards..?

Did you decide to start the Tamiflu..?

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 27-Sep-09 12:25:45

Thanks Musukebba.
We did take her to the out of hours. They were really really good. Her asthma symptoms were fairly settled at the time (night time they really were horrid) but not quite lasting 4 hours in day time.

He gave her a spacer to help her take her inhaler and moved her off the turbohaler onto a normal ventolin inhaler. Turbohalers are useless if you can't get a proper breath in I reckon. We were told to do ventolin every 2 hours to keep her reasonable and it worked, her asthmas a lot better, she can actually do proper coughs now

He gave us antibiotics to use if her temp climbed or if she started coughing up rubbish. it went back up to 39.6 and her cough got very loose. So we started her on them.

She had a pretty good night really and temp was 38 this am but its going back up.

Didn't start her on tamiflu. I think with hindsight perhaps we should have done, but nobody seemed to be entirely convinced it was flu as the gps we've spoken to said theres another nasty virus going round.

thanks

Elibean Sun 27-Sep-09 21:45:30

Just seen this, sorry dd is so unwell OYBBK...hope the antibiotics help, and that she has a better night. You, too.

Musukebba Sun 27-Sep-09 22:44:40

Yes indeed; good decision about the antibiotics and sincerely hope things are getting slightly better all round.

NM about the Tamiflu; trust your instincts

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 28-Sep-09 08:34:44

Thank you Elibean and Musukebba. She is def much better temp wise than she was - temp 38.5 last night, back to 38 this morning. She is just so so so tired. Inhalers at 2ish, up coughing for an hour at 5ish and awake now coughing but too tired to do anything but cough.

Reassuring to know we did the right thing with the antibiotics

I think we are getting to the tail end of it now. Not got a clue when she will get back to school..?

I actually really hope this was flu, because I'd hate to think that was possibly to come after this.

Elibean Mon 28-Sep-09 12:55:54

Does sound v flu-ish, doesn't it. Hope that was it, that none of you catch/caught it, and that she recovers fast now - glad she's on the mend smile

Musukebba Mon 28-Sep-09 13:48:27

Yes good to hear she's still improving slightly

It does have some elements of flu... although we are seeing a bit of nasty rhinovirus around at the moment. The regional HPA should be testing a few children in the school outbreaks, just to keep an eye on the causes. Maybe you will hear something eventually about what she likely had.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 28-Sep-09 20:29:20

V. interesting about the rhinovirus. I didn't realise they could give such high temps. (maybe a secondary kicked in early? pure speculation) Looks like about a third of dds class have gone down with it over a week. I've been hearing of adults who battled into school with it last week and then gave up today. It would be fascinating to find out the culprit.

dd does seem to be on the mend still. What ever it has been I'll be glad to see the back of it. Shes not going back in til I'm sure her asthma and temp are properly settled.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 28-Sep-09 20:34:27

Is it an HRVC Musukebba? (know nothing about them but google threw them up as being quite mean particularly for asthma.)

Musukebba Mon 28-Sep-09 21:11:12

TBH I'm not sure of the predominant type being detected but will try and find out

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 28-Sep-09 21:19:27

Thanks it would be interesting!

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 29-Sep-09 07:45:04

Good night last night - slept all the way through

Salsavita Tue 29-Sep-09 17:40:04

Am glad she is better kitten smile

DS a lot better too. We have his asthma review tomorrow at the Dr's.

One thing I did find out last week (that I wasn't aware of), DS qualifies for the flu jab because of the asthma, so he is having that in October.

Just might be worth checking out for your dd?

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 30-Sep-09 12:07:55

I'm glad your ds is much better
I hope the reivew is helpful for you today.

dd has been having annual flu jabs for a bit. Unfortunately it was scheduled for last saturday when she really couldnt have it. I need to reschedule.

She went back to school today. Been really anxious that she has a bad bout while she is there or that shes going to be too tired. School have been lovely, going to give her her inhalers at lunch and will phone me if they are at all concerned or if she isn't coping. Still worried though, this one has really given me a fright.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now