Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When is it safe to venture out??

(11 Posts)
clouiseg Sat 19-Sep-09 19:13:28

Hi all, another post - sorry!

I have the dreaded lurg (since Thurs pm, diagnosed yesterday, tamiflu today)

Does anyone know when I'm ok to go out? I have just started my training to become a Breast Feeding Peer Support worker and its on Tuesday. Problem is, if i miss it I'll miss vital course info & theres a strict timetable. But on the other hand all the mums bring their babies so out of responsibility I need to know when its safe?

Thanks all.xxx

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 19-Sep-09 20:16:44

I think the general guidance is 24 hours with no temperature without fever reducing meds. I would check with a health care professional though because you don't want to get it wrong with little babies.
Hope you feel better soon.

dodgyseventiesgear Sat 19-Sep-09 20:26:06

I thought it was more like at least 5 (or 7?) days to be clear, and then only if you've also had 24 hours with no temperature etc., and no other symptoms at all? Wasn't it that back in the summer, for children going back to school?

Tuesday does seem far too soon to be sure you're over it, I would have thought - people seem to have had good days and bad days before they get over it completely, so there'd be a risk of mistaking a good day with being better, and then being worse the next day - I shouldn't think it's worth the risk wtih small babies there.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 19-Sep-09 20:46:54

You might be right dodgy. I know its only a news article but here suggests that the 24 hours of no temp may be wrong.

They keep flipping changing the advice. You are right it was minimum of 5 days with kids may be longer. Then it was the 24 hours of no fever. I know that understanding of the virus changes but if they want to keep the spread low until the magic flu jab arrives I think they should err on the side of caution.

clouiseg Mon 21-Sep-09 07:50:45

I think based upon the risk to the little babies I'll stay at home until I'm completely symptom free, and dd is.

And besides, my own 6 month old is so poorly with it I think home is the best place for her. Had a Dr on call visit last night as she has developed a secondary bacterial infection in her sinuses, poor mite.

They said she may "become dehydrated" as she only had 10oz in 24 hours instead of her normal 35-40 & although her eyes looked slightly sunken they won't admit her until she is "very dehydrated" (!!!!) as they are trying to minimise the spread of the Virus!!

She threw up her full feed this morning as soon as it hit her stomach and is refusing water. I would just feel so bad if the other babies at my group ended up like that (some are newborn). She's had this since Thursday bless her so still no inprovement. There's no way she'll be clear by tomorrow!

x

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 21-Sep-09 12:16:35

clouiseg you poor thing you must be a bit worried on top of not feeling well. Do you have a helpful health visitor who can come and give you some reassurance?

clouiseg Mon 21-Sep-09 12:45:02

Thanks OhYouBadBadKitten

I am worried and certain that running round after 3 dd's plus caring for a poorly 6 month old is likely to prolong my own recovery as I'm unable to rest at all!(Plus I had an op last week which I'm still not recovered fully from!)

My Health Visitor I hate to say, is useless! If I need advice I tend to come on here as it is 99% of the time more reassuring to hear from direct experience!! And there's no advice like a mums advice imo!

I am worried about dd as she is so tiny. Shes managed to keep down 3 oz now (well most of it!) which is still not enough as shes normally had breakfast, lunch, & 21oz milk (shes a curvy girl lol) by now. I just fear that to not eat or drink properly since Fri morn is a long time. But the out of hours GP seemed fairly unconcerned??? Even her water intake has gone from 6oz a day to nothing at all. Hmmmmmm....shock

Anyway, just hoping the older dds don't get it (fingers crossed)

Will now drag myself into the kitchen and achingly make something simple for dinner tonight...!!! sad

Thank goodness for MNers keeping us all sane! xxx

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 21-Sep-09 20:37:16

sorry, been busy this afternoon. How is she this evening, and how are you?

clouiseg Tue 22-Sep-09 19:17:29

Well poor little DD started coughing severely last night and was barking on her inhalation. I kind of knew it was croup from experience with older dd so did the steam treatment. We all had no sleep but she seemed to be managing ok at rest, not struggling to breathe.

The GP heard her over the phone and confirmed Croup...he won't come out as I'm infected!! I'm also not allowed to take her in for the same reason and have no one who can. DH is working til 9pm.

She has a really loose nasty cough today which is making her sick but I can't hear it on her lungs YET so???

Also, my BIG MAIN CONCERN is her fluid intake.

A grand total of 5oz all day yesterday, thats water and milk combined. About 8 oz today. Her normal daily intake is around 35oz plus solids. She has drunk next to nothing since Friday last week.

She has had 2 almost dry nappies today. One I kept on her from 9am til 5pm for the purposes of monitoring her weeing. It has the equivalent of perhaps one normal wee, from 8 hours of wear!!??

Her mouth is moist and her skin ok but she has sunken type shadows under her eyes and is very pale. I don't know if i'm worrying too much but the lack of wet nappies is bugging me! She doesn't seem to be displaying all of the severe signs of dehydration.

Any advice please???? Thank you xxx

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 22-Sep-09 19:40:21

Do you feel she is improving at all? what are your instincts saying? if you want proof of how much she is weeing then you could weigh one before you put it on and after.
If you get concerned tonight then I think you need to insist that she sees a doctor. Just because you are infectious doesn't mean that you should be denied appropriate medical care. The doctor can meet you in a room away from other patients and if they feel its necessary pop a mask on you/them (what ever they feel comfortable with)

I think if you want urgent mn advice then post in childrens health or even talk cos I think quite a few people ignore this topic.

Hope things improve.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 23-Sep-09 13:14:28

How is she today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now