Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just done the online questions wotsit and DS1 has been issued with a Tamiflu collection number.... Please help!

(8 Posts)
LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 19-Sep-09 18:27:00

I personally don't really think he has SF. hmm
Would like the opinions of some more experienced mothers tbh.
He has had a 'sea-lion' sounding cough for 2 days, worse at night, Croup, I thought...?
Calpol teamed with Nurofen seem to calm it a bit.
He developed a temp. yesterday and on checking about 20 mins ago it was 38.5, not majorly high?
I googled the symptoms, just in case, as DH has Diabetes Melitus, I am preg, DS2 is 3 and DS3 is 9m so we are all 'high risk'.
DS1 has the following symptoms from the list:
Temperature over 38
Runny nose (slight)
Cough - which was my main concern
Tiredness
Sore throat (thogh I am not too sure he knows exactly what I am asking when I ask him about this and he has been coughing a lot)

When I list it, it does sound bad I guess, but he doesn't strike me as particularly ill.
He is whiny/whingy but I expect this. He is not jumping around as usual but has played in the garden today.

I am not sire if I should give him the Tamiflu after doing some reading on here and discovering it only cuts the illness by about a day anyway - what if it makes him even worse with side effects etc.

I personally don't think he has SF and I am usually quite good with this type of things with my kids.

DH says his temp has gone right back down now and I haven't given him anything yet - it would be up all the time wouldn't it?

Sorry to blab on and thanks for reading this far, I just don't know what to do for the best really? How stupid do I feel?? hmm

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 19-Sep-09 18:39:40

I know it's only been on here 2 minutes but anyone? please?

giddykipper Sat 19-Sep-09 18:51:04

I don't have anything useful to add I'm afraid, I'm rubbish at decisions like this. Thought I would bump for you though.

If he seems to be coping with it OK, then I think I would be minded to lay off the tamiflu. But then you're probably nervous in case he gets worse. As I said, rubbish at decisions.

LIZS Sat 19-Sep-09 18:52:56

I would n't bother unless he seemed really unwell.

clouiseg Sat 19-Sep-09 18:56:22

I would say trust your instinct. You know best and if he he really isn't that bad maybe keep an eye on him? Thing is, now that he's had the voucher, and if he does contract it, he won't be issued another anti viral, so imo it wouldn't hurt to collect it and store it in the fridge (you never know!)

I came down with it Thurs pm and actually feel worse today (& I'm tough as old welly boots lol), hence observing him.

How old is he?

If you see my thread about 6 month old dd from yesterday, I decided after some good advice not to pursue the Anti Viral route for lo YET! I have had it because running round after 3 kids (one special needs) even an extra healthy day makes a huge difference to me!! That said dd is up and down like a yoyo, never heard her cry so much in despair! Poor mite.

Hope all goes well....xxxx

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 19-Sep-09 18:57:28

OK. Have just managed to get hold of my mother and she says the same - unless he is really unwell, don't bother.
So I'm not going to, though may go pick it up so I have it in case. Thanks.

Pheebe Sat 26-Sep-09 19:16:02

Hi LOF. I'm in a similar position. DS1 has been issued a code for tamiflu but he just doesn't seem poorly enough to give it to him. His temp is spiking rather than staying over 38 (spiked to over 39 and taking over an hour to cool him), cough, achy and tired but otherwise OK in himself. Think I will collect it on Monday anyway and keep it as suggested as loads of people around us seem to have had some sort of 2 day virus thing.

In your situation I would call your GP as you are all high risk (as you say) and see what they recommend. They may want you all to take tamflu to try and prevent you getting it.

franklymydear Sat 26-Sep-09 19:17:19

nurofen calpol and honey I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now