Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should DH go to work in Hospital?

(8 Posts)
sasamaxx Sun 13-Sep-09 16:04:43

Myself and DS have suspected flu. DH and DD don't - he works in a hospital. I'm of the opinion that he really shouldn't go into work tomorrow (and I can't look after the kids anyway) but he's adamant that they wouldn't allow him to stay off unless he had symptoms. What are other's opinions on this?

sasamaxx Sun 13-Sep-09 16:05:25

I should also add that he spends a lot of time doing home visits to frail and elderly people.

frakkinpannikin Sun 13-Sep-09 16:09:45

It's up to his employer but he should certainly advise them of his symptoms.

sasamaxx Sun 13-Sep-09 16:17:53

Thanks frakkinpannikin, - he doesn't have any symptoms though

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 13-Sep-09 20:15:32

I think its going to get pretty difficult health care wise over the autumn with ill staff not being able to get in, if those with poorly families can't make it in either it could get very challenging. I think he is going to have to follow his work place protocol with this one even if it goes against all instincts.

(and if you think about it at work he may well get prolonged exposure before too long and you can't have all health care workers who have been exposed staying in quarantine, there'll be no one left!)

BethNoire Sun 13-Sep-09 20:25:38

Yes, like the others said- just get him to ring and ask,. if they're high staffed they might say no, who knows?

MavisEnderby Sun 13-Sep-09 20:28:47

hI,am NHS worker and when dc had suspected Swine Flu I rang my manager and was told to go in as I was asymptomatic,this was obv in line with policy.I would get him to contact thehospital in which he is based for their local policy.

sasamaxx Mon 14-Sep-09 09:02:56

Great - thanks for that - he has called in and is waiting for Occupational Health to decide.
Cheers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now