Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this sound like it could be SF? And do we need to, well, do anything?

(10 Posts)
HelenaBonhamCarter Sat 12-Sep-09 10:31:07

Ds1 (6) has been coughing a little for a few days, not too much.

Today he has a very sore throat, and we went out int he car and he said his tummy was really hurting, so we came home.

He's eaten something and is lounging about, no discernable temp as yet...no cases that I know of at school but they went back this week.

Not sure whether to be taking any precautions etc.

Thanks.

BrigitBigKnickers Sat 12-Sep-09 10:44:42

IME swine flu comes on very quickly (over a matter of hours)and a raging temperature is one of the main symptoms.

If he has been coughing for a few days he might just have a virus or bad cold.

Think you will just have to wait and see.

BrigitBigKnickers Sat 12-Sep-09 10:47:49

The only precautions you can take is to try to isolate him.

If you have 2 bathrooms let him use one and the other members of the family use the other. Wash hands copiously and get in lots of pain relief medicine (ibruprofen and calpol.)

Good luck!

HelenaBonhamCarter Sat 12-Sep-09 10:50:35

thankyou!! Well, ds2 already coughing a little bit so I think it is too late to do that...we have two loos and he already uses his, I thinkw e will probably all end up with whatever it is anyway. Ho hum, better than once it's mutated I suppose...

might just be a cold. It was the tummy ache thing that made me wonder really.

He is probably the least careful child you can imagine, germ wise. Germs just love him as he spreads them so efficiently smile

HelenaBonhamCarter Sat 12-Sep-09 10:51:25

I will try and keep him away from other people though. My parents can drop round supplies for us if we run out of anything.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 13-Sep-09 08:02:37

It is thoughtful of you to keep him away from people. Even though it doesnt really sound like flu, probably the fewer bugs being shared around the better atm. Hope he feels better soon.

HelenaBonhamCarter Sun 13-Sep-09 12:34:34

Kitten, it looks like it was/is just a cold. He hasn't had a temp at all, so it's not been too bad.

We went to my parents' this morning, although they were warned, they still wanted to see the boys.

I was quite hopeful about getting SF over with in a bizarre way smile as i don't want them to have the vaccine really.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 13-Sep-09 13:45:41

I know what you mean, a mild case would be quite handy, though without testing you can't be really sure. Shame its not obvious like chicken pox.
There are def colds about at dds school. Doesn't take long for cold season to get started

HelenaBonhamCarter Sun 13-Sep-09 14:44:27

I have trouble getting my head round sending a child into such a blatant pit of infection tbh smile

School is wrong on so many levels...

crokky Sun 13-Sep-09 14:48:13

SF is characterised by rapid onset & raging temp - you have to have those I think. Some of the symptoms vary from child to child, but those main 2 don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now