Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Right so, Swine flu has hit the neighborhood....

(13 Posts)
KerryMumbles Fri 11-Sep-09 15:50:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bucharest Fri 11-Sep-09 15:57:14

I think (having just got back to Italy and receiving hourly phone calls from so-called friends saying "you haven't got swine flu have you?") that in 99.9% of people it will be like a bad cold. A tiny proportion will be very seriously ill, and an even tinier proportion, mainly with underlying serious health issues (kidney trouble, heart trouble, big shit stuff like that) might actually die.
In the UK they are I believe going to vaccinate the oldies and the immuno-suppressed. The vaccine will work with just one dose.
Loads of nutters have stockpiled tamiflu, but non-hysterics are saying that a couple of lemsip will work just as well. grin

Bucharest Fri 11-Sep-09 15:58:30

Doctors and chemists won't let anyone near them with symptoms either. You have to sort of ring a bell outside whilst chanting "unclean unclean" etc.

KerryMumbles Fri 11-Sep-09 15:58:38

KerryMumbles Fri 11-Sep-09 15:59:28

Bucharest Fri 11-Sep-09 16:00:53

But, if you do have symptoms you're supposed to keep away from other people for 48 hrs which must be the contagion period.
I imagine if your ds's have quite severe asthma they would fall in the category of people-to-be-vaccinated. (In October/November I think) The govt have downgraded the alarm though, from "we're all going to dieeeeee" to "oh! actually, scrap that, we're not". (that was last week, apparently the cases are going to be only a third of what they were telling us in July)

Bucharest Fri 11-Sep-09 16:02:29

Wish I'd just got back from instead of back to. Bah humbug.
Not sure tbh about the symptoms, from the people I've heard who have had it, it seems fairly bad-coldlike to me. A few people are saying "oooh, I felt dodgy for about 5 days in July, I bet it was swineflu."

Elibean Fri 11-Sep-09 18:58:51

Italy envy

Both my dds are taking their preventers (they have mild, virus-triggered asthma - so far) in case of swine flu, as per GP instructions.

Other than that, only preparation is to keep calm - classmate of dd's with fairly bad asthma just had it, felt awful for a few days with high temp, cough, vomiting, really bad headache, but he is fine and his asthma wasn't triggered. He used his inhaler during coughing bouts, but that was it.

So I agree with Bucharest, a tiny proportion will have a particularly bad time with it, but for most of us it varies from bad cold type thing to nasty flu type thing, and no more.

HTH a bit....was far more scary before I got used to knowing loads of people (via dd's school) who'd had it smile

Elibean Fri 11-Sep-09 18:59:35

Oh, dd's classmate did take Tamiflu (once his sore throat developed, and they diagnosed him) as he's asthmatic. Your dses will be offered it too, I should think.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 11-Sep-09 19:19:02

Oh dear KerryMumbles - last thing you need. Okay you are contagious from a day before you have symptoms till seven days later or until symptoms abate whichever is later (ie if you are still coughing on day nine, stay in still!)

Practice good hand hygiene and avoid crowds. If you get it, you have to decide whether or not to do the Tamiflu thing - it can involve vomiting on top of feeling like crap. Total judgement call. It reduces the length of the flu by about a day and a half. Most people are finding it lasts four days of feeling crap and a few more of feeling worn out.

May I suggest you go to the flusurvey.org website and read up a bit of the prevalence in your area

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 12-Sep-09 08:39:41

Other things you can do to prepare is to ensure that you have a couple of weeks of light, easy to eat food in so that if you get it one after the other you don't have to stumble out for supplies.
Make sure you have enough fever reducing meds for all of you to last a week.
Make sure prescriptions are all up to date.
Make sure you have plenty of loo roll in and perhaps rehydration stuff as a proportion of people get d&v with it.
Talk to your asthma nurse about what you need to do with regards to the asthma.
Make sure that school has your current contact numbers.

Then its life as normal, carrying tissues and washing hands.

KerryMumbles Sat 12-Sep-09 15:01:17

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 12-Sep-09 17:32:04

You are welocme good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now