Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ok,,, I know this is asked a billion times before but can you really have swine flu and not feel that ill?

(8 Posts)
IHeartKittensAndWine Wed 09-Sep-09 08:42:38

I had flu - regular, seasonal flu in Dec 05 and I was out for the count for a week, couldn't sit up, couldn't eat, crying with temp and achiness, and then it went to pneumonia when i did get up too soon and that was dreadful. I've just been diagnosed (online) with swine flu and I don't feelthat ill - as in yes I have a temp and all the symptoms, but I can sit up in bed, speak on the phone for short periods, go online (obviously). I could probably do some work if I needed to (don't tell my boss). To me this isn't "real" flu, much less swine flu. DH has gone out to get my tamiflu but I'm not inclined to take it. Did anyone out there have swine flu for definate and not feel that bad? I would have thought the real thing is much worse than this!

weegiemum Wed 09-Sep-09 08:51:51

That was my experience of it - nothing like real seasonal flu. Felt hot/cold, achey, cough etc but not "really" flu.

My kids were much iller than me, I think.

It was Expat I think who described swine flu as "Flu Lite" - a good description for what I had - worse than a cold, not as bad a flu. I've been iller with a kidney infection, tbh.

IHeartKittensAndWine Wed 09-Sep-09 09:08:35

Flu lite - that's perfect! Basically, I feel too ill to get out of bed/off the sofa for long periods, but not too ill to feel bored in bed.

Can't face calling NHS direct or gp - does anyone know when you can officially go back to work - is it as soon as your symptoms have stopped, or 24 hours after? My boss has texted asking for a projected date of return - and don't want to remind him that the last time I had flu I came back for two days, collapsed and was off after that with pneumonia for another four weeks!

weegiemum Wed 09-Sep-09 09:10:56

I'm a SAHM/student so no idea about adult going back, but school said the kids should be symptom free for 24 hours before they returned.

Kathyjelly Thu 10-Sep-09 15:28:01

That doesn't sound like what I've had. Zac (13 months ) & I are just finishing flu - a week of 103 degrees, aching and wanting to sleep, followed by two weeks of trying to breathe through glue and having to stop half way up the stairs to stop seeing stars. Zac coughing so hard he kept being sick.

We didn't take tamiflu because the side effects sounded worse than the illness but can well understand why GPs worried about people with asthma.

IHeartKittensAndWine Thu 10-Sep-09 19:05:32

Kathy that sounds like what it was for me the last time I had (regular) flu, which was why I was so surprised when I came down with this on Tuesday night. But I posted too soon - I've been unable to move all day and literally soaked the sheets in sweat.

BethNoire Thu 10-Sep-09 19:13:08

Kids were worst of all in this house, I ahd one day of it and dh had a sore throat

Suspect it depends a lot on what you've already had, at a guess.

Hope you get better soon IHeart

sasamaxx Sun 13-Sep-09 15:41:15

Think I may have swine flu. Temp, hot/cold. sweaty/shivering, head bursting, whooshy sensations, seeing stars when walking around, unable to do anything. Came on unbelievable quickly yesterday. No cough though - yet. Poor DS is listless and limp, lying on couch unable to move - he's normally hyperactive. A bit worried about him actually. It's horrible. I have no idea if it's worse or better than seasonal flu as I don't think I've had that since childhood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now