Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what's the latest about swine flu? I have flu symptoms

(7 Posts)
brimfull Wed 02-Sep-09 22:20:43

not worried about myself at all
has been unpleasant but not horrendous

is it notifiable still?

whomovedmychocolate Wed 02-Sep-09 22:23:06

Yup. What symptoms do you have, call the flu service. They will patronise you and prescribe something to make you feel crapper. hmm

Get well soon

NumptyMum Wed 02-Sep-09 22:26:36

I had mild symptoms, never clicked that it might be swine flu until I was due at work (I work with people who take immunosuppresant drugs) at which point I rang NHS 24. Advice at that point, 2 weeks ago, was to stay off work and they would have given me tamiflu except that a) I'd already had it for a few days and b) I didn't want to take it, which they were fine about. I think it's really to contain the spread until they have vaccines, so keeping you out of circulation is to limit the chances of it getting passed on. Mind you I was in circulation a good number of days before I realised blush; on the other hand because they are not swabbing, diagnosis is only based on your symptoms and the probability it will be swine flu, so it may be that you don't have it anyway.

brimfull Wed 02-Sep-09 22:27:10

fever on and off
cough, aches and pains

have had for 3 days and have probably given it to at least a million folk as had a party on sunday night whne aching started

NumptyMum Wed 02-Sep-09 22:30:12

yup, similar to me - mainly a crashing headache, bad aches and pains but not much of a temperature in my case. And I'd been to the docs for something else the day before, walked into the nurses room and complained about 'this horrible headachey virus' and neither she nor I put two and two together...

whomovedmychocolate Wed 02-Sep-09 22:32:04

Poor you - don't worry about the contagious bit - you are contagious for a day before you get symptoms and the virulence is 1.6 per person, which means each person who gets it gives it to on average 1.6 people (or if 10 people caught it, they would infect another 16) so it's not actually that contagious at the minute.

Unless it was an orgy in which case <wags finger sternly> grin

If you've had it for three days you are through the worst already!

brimfull Wed 02-Sep-09 22:32:46

yes I had to take ds to gp today as he was coughing constantly for hours and hours and needed nebulizer.
Ds had fever ,gp didn't mention swine flu at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now