Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu and Disney Channel Hell

(22 Posts)
ReneRusso Fri 28-Aug-09 10:08:12

I am going out of my mind after being stuck in the house for three days. My DD1 (9) is ill with swine flu and showing no signs of improvement, still has a really high fever. DD2 (7) hasn't caught it yet, and is absolutely bored to tears, can't understand why she can't go out and play. I think even she is fed up with the Disney Channel and I now only dream in terms of Zack, Cody, Miley etc. DD1 is becoming increasingly needy to the point where if I leave the room for 5 minutes she starts moaning in her squeaky throaty voice. She especially moans if I ask her if she would like something to eat, because its apparently so exhausting for her to decide whether she does or not. She won't get dressed because I brought her leggings and a t-shirt instead of tracksuit bottoms and a pyjama top. No idea where the desired items are, because I have a post holiday ironing pile that would bring tears to your eyes, and I can't motivate myself to start it. If her sister speaks anywhere near her she goes crazy and says it's giving her a headache.
To cap it all, I'm pregnant, and was advised by the doc obviously to "try not to catch it". This is with DD, who insists on sleeping with me, in my bed sneezing coughing and spluttering all over me.
Is anyone else stuck at home like this?
Please someone share your swine flu story and make me feel better.

Madsometimes Fri 28-Aug-09 13:08:56

Things will get better. We have not had swine flu yet (although dh disagrees). This will end soon, and then you will be back to normal. I am sure that your dd1 is sad that she is feeling sick, especially during the last week of her holiday. I have a 9 year old dd too, and I know how she would be feeling.

Good luck in not catching it! Do you have a dh about? Perhaps he could take dd2 out tomorrow for a bit. AFAIK, you do not have to quarantine unaffected family members any more.

Elibean Fri 28-Aug-09 14:43:16

You poor thing. Am also in Disney Channel Hell, though not SF (dd1 spend all night vomiting, then developed a mildish fever today - no cough or sore throat, bog standard sick bug methinks), and can sympathize. dd2 (nearly 3) is bored to tears too, and wants to hug her sister all the time.

I keep making excuses to go out into the garden for air/relief from Disney/perspective....

It will pass, Mad is right smile

MrsBadger Fri 28-Aug-09 14:57:05

sounds awful sad

can you turn dd2 out into the garden? have people who've had it round? let dd1 watch dvds/iplayer on the computer so you regain control of the tv?

ReneRusso Fri 28-Aug-09 15:39:48

We have a tiny garden so she really needs to be taken out to the park to get out. I did let her walk the dog outside on her own (its a very quiet road and a dead end) so that improved her mood a bit. DH will be around more at the weekend so that will be a relief. DD1 has come downstairs to play on the computer today which is a big improvement. I'm now going to brace myself for another game of monopoly or similar.

pofacedandproud Fri 28-Aug-09 15:42:19

oh gosh you poor thing. No advice but definitely sympathy. Did the gp maybe advise you taking Relenza to prevent symptoms? No idea if that is a good idea or not though.

ReneRusso Fri 28-Aug-09 15:50:34

GP was a bit non-commital, "well yes we could give you Relenza... on the other hand you could probably just wait and see if you get ill" So it was left up to me really. I'm not taking it, and DD isn't taking Tamiflu either. I'm only 8 weeks pg, so hopefully not too much at risk.

pofacedandproud Fri 28-Aug-09 15:55:29

hope it is mild for you. I do suggest though that if you get ill you make sure you control your temperature. Ask your gp what he thinks best to do that.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 29-Aug-09 09:14:44

Rene - if you do get it, it is important to talk to your doctor about antivirals as soon as you develop symptoms.

ReneRusso Sat 29-Aug-09 11:16:43

I do have it now and of course GP surgery is closed. Don't think I will get much useful info from pandemic helpline so just going to ride it out with paracetamol and bed.

pofacedandproud Sat 29-Aug-09 11:22:10

Rene there must be an out of hours surgery in your area? can you talk it over with a doctor?

ReneRusso Sat 29-Aug-09 12:20:55

Out of hours surgery had a recorded message saying if its about flu I should call the national pandemic helpline. I know they will prescribe me Relenza if I want to but thats not much use. I want to have a proper conversation with a doctor about whether its a good idea to take it in 1st trimester. I guess I could call back out of hours and press the button that says its not about flu and demand to speak to a doctor. To be honest I am not feeling too bad though, I am nowhere near as ill as my DD was. Took some paracetamol and the chills and pains have gone.

pofacedandproud Sat 29-Aug-09 12:26:31

Yes I do think you should talk to a doctor. The likelihood is that you'll be fine but you may start to feel worse. I would press the button tbh.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 29-Aug-09 14:57:19

Rene. Talk to a doctor - please. As you are pregnant you are very entitled to speak to a doctor rather than the flu line.

ReneRusso Sat 29-Aug-09 16:25:11

Called back the out of hours doctor and the receptionist was so mean to me. She said I should contact the national pandemic helpline. I asked if I could speak to a doctor as I needed some advice about whether relenza was safe. She talked over me and said no. So I guess I did get a bit emotional. Then she said I was being rude and bolshy. She finally agreed to get the doctor to call back. I was quite justified I think because the doctor is referring the question to the on call obstetrician.

pofacedandproud Sat 29-Aug-09 16:26:47

shock I would complain. Luckily we have a very good out of hours service. Glad you persisted.

ReneRusso Sat 29-Aug-09 16:48:53

Have been told its best not to take anything. Feel like absolute crap sad but at least I now have some bona fide advice.

pofacedandproud Sat 29-Aug-09 16:57:39

OK. Sorry you feel so bad. I remember having flu when pregnant I felt terrible. Hope it doesn't last too long.

ReneRusso Sat 29-Aug-09 17:03:30

thanks pofaced, it's nice to have some support

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 29-Aug-09 17:21:07

It is good that you checked, well done for standing up for yourself. The receptionist was wrong to try and direct you to the flu line as pregnant women should contact a doctor:
HPA
Which says:
"Certain groups are advised to contact their doctor rather than use the National Pandemic Influenza Service; these are: people with serious underlying health conditions, pregnant women, children under one or children whose condition suddenly gets worse and those whose condition is still getting worse after 7 days (5 days for a child)."

If you are at all concerned about yourself don't hesitate to phone them back, you aren't being a bother by doing so.

Hope you feel better soon.

ReneRusso Sat 29-Aug-09 17:39:56

Thanks BadKitten, so she really was wrong, as well as being nasty.

pofacedandproud Sat 29-Aug-09 20:21:50

she sounds absolutely awful. Hope you feel better soon. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now