Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine flu followed by chest infection.

(4 Posts)
Theinvisibleone Mon 24-Aug-09 18:55:46

My dd, four and half, had swine flu mid July, she was really poorly and took tamiflu.

Recovered after 10 days or so but still had a lingering cough, which got worse.

She was diagnosed as having a chest infection and given a 5 day course of antibiotics.

She seemed better but still had not completely shifted the cough.

She now has a sickness virus and still has the cough and I am coming to the end of my tether sad

Just wondering if anyone else is going through a similar thing.

Elibean Tue 25-Aug-09 21:12:47

Poor dd, sorry she's still poorly sad

FWIW, I think I read somewhere that average post-viral coughs linger for 6-8 weeks - meaning some linger longer, especially if they've been followed by chest infections.

The sickness virus sounds as though her immune system may be run down post-flu, which is also very usual - that, and bad luck. Poor both of you, hope she's better soon - its awful having non-stop illness.

Theinvisibleone Tue 25-Aug-09 22:09:17

We took her to the Doctors today and she has been prescribed another course of different anti-biotics.

I have to pop her back on Friday as my GP was concerned as her chest infection has not improved at all.

I also have to pop her over my knee and gently pat her right side. Just keeping everything crossed she gets better soon, she has spent her whole Summer being poorly. sad

Elibean Tue 25-Aug-09 22:49:12

sad poor little love, thats awful. dh had a chest infection that needed different ABs to clear up, I hope these ones do the trick - good that they're following her up on Friday.

Fingers crossed for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now