Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS1 nearly 2yrs - given tamiflu last night from helpline ... GP saids holdfire

(3 Posts)
Shell001 Sat 22-Aug-09 07:10:53

Hi,

My DS1 has upset stomach and high temperature and started yesterday with the upset stomach ( runs ) and then in afternoon a sudden temperature ..
He had a slight running nose this week and few little coughs .. so helpline gave him tamiflu then they said make appointment with GP straight away ???? you cant go out if got swine flu ???
But i rang and spoke to my Dr and he said it maybe food p and another virus so if other symptoms do not appear overnight then avoid taking tamiflu ...
So i havent and DS1 still got temperature but cools down with calpol ..

sounds like another bug ?

tatt Sat 22-Aug-09 07:30:02

How ill does he seem? Tamiflu has a risk of side effects so you have to balance the risk of those against not giving the drug. www.nhs.uk/news/2009/07July/Pages/Tamiflusideeffects.aspx

seeker Sat 22-Aug-09 07:37:30

If he doesn't seem particularly ill, I would hold fire. If he's had symptoms for more than 48 hours I don't think tamiflu would do much good anyway.

My friend's dd had tamiflu and she lost her appetite and couldn't sleep and had an upset stomach - all these symptoms stopped when she stopped taking the tamiflu. Sorry to add to, rather than help your confusion!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now