Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

should I take tamiflu I am totally confused

(13 Posts)
ifthatphoneringsonemoretime Sun 16-Aug-09 23:24:02

I have SF. Have been given an authorisation for tamiflu from a local collection point. I feel like death warmed over. DH especially is very worried about possible side effects of tamiflu and also whether or not it is even good enough to risk it. I dont know what to do if he should go collect the tamiflu for me tomorrow.

ifthatphoneringsonemoretime Sun 16-Aug-09 23:27:10

I meant to say I have asthma and history of having pneumonia.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Sun 16-Aug-09 23:27:27

Isn't the main side effect nausea/ vomiting? Why's he so concerned about that?

ifthatphoneringsonemoretime Sun 16-Aug-09 23:31:05

dunno

just doesnt want to make me more ill I guess.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Sun 16-Aug-09 23:35:27

Of course - but then as you have asthma then surely it's safer (imho) to take the Tamiflu which limits the duration/ severity of the virus? Is he thinking of that Andrew Castle thing? Obviously all drugs have some side effects so it's always a case of weighing up pros and cons.

QuintessentialShadows Sun 16-Aug-09 23:36:35

You are ill. The doctor has prescribed a medicine which will make you better/the illness less severe. Why are you confused? Why do you not want to take it?

ifthatphoneringsonemoretime Sun 16-Aug-09 23:42:27

I think I do want to take it - I am trying to put his mind at rest I suppose. And I am so tired its hard to kind of think properly.

QuintessentialShadows Sun 16-Aug-09 23:45:45

Take the meds, and good luck.

QuintessentialShadows Sun 16-Aug-09 23:46:09

erm, I mean Get Well Soon.

ifthatphoneringsonemoretime Sun 16-Aug-09 23:46:10

thanks

Respect4mykid Mon 17-Aug-09 13:37:19

A good reason NOT to take Tamiflu? Where to start; Tamiflu was originally developed for H5N1(Avian flu), by a company called Gilead, which went on to sell the world marketing rights to Roche. Your govt spent your taxes on stockpiling the Tamiflu, only to find the impending "pandemic" didnt materialise.That meant stockpiles with an expiry date 2010 needed to be offloaded.Tamiflu has very little benefit against H1N1,but reportedly gives our kids nausea, headaches and nightmares. The major shareholder in Gilead is none other than Donald Rumsfeld, a Neocon Nazi, who conspired with Bush and Blair to take us all to war on a pack of lies. He also made tens of millions from Aspartame, an artificial sweetener which was classed as a bioweapon by the Pentagon in the 80s( see "Aspartame, Rumsfelds'Legacy)Google it. Big pharma is corrupt. Our govt's corrupt. Put them together and you have one good reason not to take Tamiflu

crokky Mon 17-Aug-09 13:41:59

My DS had SF last week. He took the full course of tamiflu (10 capsules over 5 days). He vomited once after capsule 3 and once after capsule 4. All the other capsules were fine - vomiting that comes at the start will not necessarily continue and that's what happened for my DS. I was advised that if a child vomits 3 times (ie one time after each dose), then tamiflu should be stopped.

By the way, he's 3 and he is in perfect health now. He got better very quickly. I'd just take it if I was you and see how you go.

reikizen Mon 17-Aug-09 13:47:51

But are you getting better by yourself with paracetamol, fluids and rest? Is your asthma well controlled? If so, I personally wouldn't touch tamiflu. And if you are well enough to be mumsnetting you are pretty okay (in my experience of flu anyway! and I don't mean that to be rude, it's just an observation of a very ill person as opposed to a normally ill one iyswim)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now