Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really dont know what to do about having the vaccine...

(46 Posts)
laurawantsababy Fri 14-Aug-09 11:31:07

Im 16 weeks pg, dd is only 14 months old and dp has asthma.

I really dont know whether to have it or let dd have it.

Do you think you could refuse the 1st invite and then go a month or so later??

I thought about asking my GP if it really is safe but I guess he will have been brainwashed into advising people its best.

Any thoughts? Anyone on here been part of the trial?

OhYouBadBadDailyMail Fri 14-Aug-09 13:24:24

I would wait before you make a decision, it will be a while yet before its an option so really theres no point in fretting until more information is out in a month or sos time.

Yurtgirl Fri 14-Aug-09 13:29:46

I heard on the radio that scientists seem to think tamiflu only reduces the illness by one (measly) day and still wont gurantee you are protected against further complications

Im not pregnant and my kids are older so not in a similar situation - And Im no scientist either!

LIZS Fri 14-Aug-09 13:37:04

Think you're a while off being offered it yet. If concerned when you are then discuss it with your gp or mw. If you don't normally have the flu jab then there is no compulsion or suggestion that SF need hit you worse than seasonal flu.

queenofeyes Fri 14-Aug-09 16:20:52

I don't think GPs are generally "brainwashed".

OhYouBadBadDailyMail Fri 14-Aug-09 20:33:46

Yurtgirl tamiflu is antiviral and a separate issue from vaccine.

Yurtgirl Fri 14-Aug-09 20:44:07

Is it, oh!!!!
Either way though Im not convinced that scientists REALLY know what the benefits and possible negatives of these new drugs could be

Musukebba Fri 14-Aug-09 21:49:49

Yes we do, but this thread is about vaccines...

So: the efficacy of both swine flu vaccines for the UK is more than 90% (that's a lot better than the seasonal flu vaccine (70-80%).

Protection very likely to last several years (compare with seasonal flu vaccine protection of 1 year max).

"Benefits"
1. You won't have to worry whenever DH/P/D/S get a sniffle. Yes ladies: that's several years' freedom of the incoming variant 'swine origin man-flu'. wink

2. You won't have to rely on a telephone diagnosis of a respiratory illness.

3. You won't need to be swabbed.

4. You won't have to take antivirals.

5. If in a high-risk group for complications, it's likely you'll be protected from severe disease.

6. If immunocompetent, you're less likely to get a subclinical infection and pass it on to others in the family, or to patients if you work in healthcare.

"Possible negatives"
1. There's two injections.

2. The adjuvanted vaccine is more likely to give pyrexia.

3. Err... that's it.

Niknak21 Fri 14-Aug-09 22:34:08

Is another negative that it's very new and not been fully tested??

I'm not sure I want my under 5s to have it. I'm going to wait and see if my GP friends give it to their kids.....

Musukebba Fri 14-Aug-09 22:50:30

Not really... it's made by the same process as the yearly seasonal vaccine, and the EMEA (the European agency concerned with licencing vaccines) has been happy with this system for years. They don't insist on full clinical trials every year, and tens of millions of vaccines produced in this way against yearly drifted H1N1 and H3N2 strains have been given safely.

EMEA have also been happy over the last few years with the newer avian H5N1 flu vaccines - the so-called 'mock vaccine' comparator for the swine flu one - which are also produced in the same way as seasonal flu vaccine. These H5N1 versions have been given to over 50,000 people without serious adverse effects recorded.

Anyway, your under 5s won't qualify for the vaccine unless they - or someone else in your household - are in a high-risk category.

Niknak21 Sat 15-Aug-09 08:02:43

That's good that they won't qualify, I won't have to worry about it then. I thought in this case they were a high risk group in themselves. I've tried not ignore most of the press stuff about this anyway, they like a good hype IMO.

laurawantsababy Sat 15-Aug-09 10:19:39

Thanks all. I will have a chat with my mw.

pofacedandproud Sat 15-Aug-09 10:50:15

Musukebba, it is my [limited] understanding that because of the time frame and scarcity of the virus the swine flu virus will contain the adjuvant squalene, which is unlicensed as an adjuvant in the States. Do you know if Squalene is is a: unlicensed in the States
b; problematic in any way?
Thankyou!

questioneverything Sat 15-Aug-09 18:29:00

Do you mean that you want to wait to see if people start 'dropping like flies' from adverse reactions to the vaccine.

Personally, they say you are not to eat to much tuna because of mercury, then they want to shoot you up with a load in the guise of a vaccine.

lljkk Sat 15-Aug-09 18:56:54

Which vaccine (swine flu or other) still has a mercury-based component in it, QEverything?

Nothing I've read (from credible sources) worries about squaline, Poface.

I think if I were pregnant now I would get the vaccine when offered. But it's not a big deal issue to me, it's just an option that feels slightly better to me (personally) than the alternative.

Gibbspercival Sun 16-Aug-09 09:28:01

Before you decide check out the truth at:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/08/06/Proof-That-Thimerosal-Induces-A utismLike-Neurotoxicity.aspx

The vaccine is worse than the flu

PleaseDeleteMeLetmeGo Sun 16-Aug-09 09:37:39

'The vaccine is worse than the flu'.

Unless you have a child who is at risk of death from the flu. And then this is a hard, hard decision.

sarah293 Sun 16-Aug-09 09:43:47

Message withdrawn

stuffitlllama Sun 16-Aug-09 09:48:39

musukebba is there already a swine flu vaccine in existence, I mean, not this new one?

possible negatives:

all the complications associated with any vaccine plus new unknown complication due to poverty of test data

Gibbspercival Sun 16-Aug-09 10:02:51

Firstly go to :
www.uktabloid.co.uk/MainNews.html
scroll down and learn the truth about this dreaded abuse of the public!

stuffitlllama Sun 16-Aug-09 10:07:26

oh for pete's sake gibbs

you're like a man with a sandwich board yelling that we're DOOMED! DOOMED!

give it a rest.. nobody's taking you seriously

stuffitlllama Sun 16-Aug-09 10:23:33

"The British Neurological Surveillance Unit, part of the British Association of Neurologists, has been asked to monitor closely any cases of Guillaine Barre Syndrome as the vaccine is rolled out. One senior neurologist said last night: "I would not have the swine flu jab because of the GBS risk.""

Presumably some Deep Throat the DM has contacted.

sarah293 Sun 16-Aug-09 11:05:27

Message withdrawn

pofacedandproud Sun 16-Aug-09 11:13:25

GBS is a rare but acknowledged side effect of the normal flu vaccine.

Lijkk is is true that squalene is not licensed for use as an adjuvant in the US?

Niknak21 Sun 16-Aug-09 18:38:57

If you think gibbs is bad check out Badgerr on another very extensive thread. That post is a sandwich board shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now