Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Will I 'have' to get vaccinated because I work in the NHS?

(16 Posts)
mears Fri 14-Aug-09 10:38:21

I think I would rather get it to be honest. Have never had a flu vaccination in my life - nor have I ever had the flu.

Will I be made to have it? Am I irresponsible if I refuse it?

Northernlurker Fri 14-Aug-09 10:40:18

Mears - they can't make you have it but yes I think you are being irresponsible in your job if you don't have it. What if you are incubating it and give it to somebody at their most vulnerable? That's why I'm having it - I work in renal and our patients cannot afford to get a serious bout of flu.

You can't be 'made' to have anything surely?

EccentricaGallumbits Fri 14-Aug-09 10:46:11

difficult one. I'd rather not have the vacc but.....

mears Fri 14-Aug-09 10:48:27

Am honestly not sure about the safety and effectiveness of a vaccine that is being 'flung together' so quickly without the opportuniy of rigorous testing. What if it disrupts my own immune system forever?

mears Fri 14-Aug-09 10:48:58

But hey, I work for the NHS so should be towing the party line.

Northernlurker Fri 14-Aug-09 10:56:46

It's not being thrown together - it's based on a tried and tested roadmap for a vaccibne that's used every year. They can't make you have it but I suspect they could redeploy you from seeing patients for the duration of the pandemic if they deem your state of health to be a risk to the patients. It's not a question of a party line, it's a question of acting in the best interests of your patients as well as yourself.

Musukebba Fri 14-Aug-09 18:51:12

Yes and over 50,000 have been dosed with the avian flu version without a significant problem. To say nothing of the millions having received seasonal flu vaccine.

It can't be mandatory, so if you refuse it then your Trust will probably redeploy you somewhere out the way of patients.

mears Sat 15-Aug-09 13:31:50

I have known a few people who have become unwell after the flu vaccination and it does give me concern. It is one of the reasons I have not been vaccinated against flu. Just not 100% convinced about vaccinating every virus that strikes us - concerned about mutation in the future. Will think about it nearer the time.

vinblanc Sat 15-Aug-09 13:33:56

Vaccination is always a personal choice in this country. You don't have to have it. It is not compulsory.

Gibbspercival Sun 16-Aug-09 10:04:45

Firstly go to :
www.uktabloid.co.uk/MainNews.html
scroll down and learn the truth about this dreaded abuse of the public!

mrsbean78 Mon 17-Aug-09 21:23:51

We have been told by our Trust that it would be heavily frowned upon if we didn't get it and I have heard whispers of disciplinaries etc. I have also heard that you would be made to take time off unpaid if you didn't take the vaccine.

I don't work with immunocompromised or very poorly people in the NHS and I am pregnant..

I would object strongly to being 'made' to have the vaccine on the basis of flimsy evidence. NHS workers do quite a lot 'for the good of the patients already, thanks very much - and I don't think taking a vaccine in pregnancy (when, let's face it, we're not allowed take hardly anything) would be something to rush into for 'the sake of the patient'.

lal123 Sun 23-Aug-09 15:56:44

you don't have to have it - and how on earth could you be discipined for not having it????? In the past I have heard it suggested that folk who are off with flu should not get sick pay - but surely you'd still be entitled to SSP?

I don't intend to get it - but will hopefully be off on maty leave before its available

weegiemum Sun 23-Aug-09 15:58:20

Hey mears I live in your city and I have it at the moment so feel free to come round and catch it from me and the kids!!

Not sure about the vaccine myself - and I'm normally pro vax.

iceagethree Tue 25-Aug-09 06:01:48

it seems not!

mears Sat 29-Aug-09 02:36:47

Just caught up with this thread. Isn't it interesting the differing viewpoints?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now