Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would you let your child be a part of the SF vaccine trial?

(10 Posts)
phlossie Tue 11-Aug-09 22:00:00

If you lived in one of the cities where the new vaccine is going to be trialled next month, would you give consent for your child to be a test case?

I live in Bristol, and my answer would be a definite no... I think I'd even think twice about having the vaccine full stop. But then again, they are little, and one has asthma, so maybe...

Here's the article on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8193574.stm

cheerfulvicky Wed 12-Aug-09 09:30:00

No, I wouldn't. I would even refuse the vaccine for myself and my child if the WHO invokes the little known-about law that means they can force to to have it against your will.
No way.

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:31:45

Can they do that???????? shock

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:32:36

I mean for somehting like, well something really dangerous, sure...they might have to...but not a mild flu type illness surely? It's hardly likely to decimate the population, is it?

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 12-Aug-09 09:36:12

Message withdrawn

cheerfulvicky Wed 12-Aug-09 09:38:00

You're right, flight - although the WHO has the ability to force vaccinations, they are unlikely to use it. If the flu became more virulent and they were really concerned, I don't know... Somewhere there is probably a memo about how bad things have to get before they would bring in that law.

It annoys me and scares me that there is this piece of legislation, in which humans rights mean nothing, that could be introduced at any time. I try not to think about it, TBH.
(Can find you a link if you like. Will be nutty conspiracy theorists quoting from some impossible to find WHO guidelines footnote number 12,391 though grin )

stuffitlllama Wed 12-Aug-09 09:40:22

Do think they are offering full time life long care and compensation for any damage?

No.

christmasmum Wed 12-Aug-09 09:44:53

I'm not medical at all so really just asking for clarification, but I did hear that the virus was made up of a carrier type liquid that has been widely tested and is used in all the usual flu vaccines and a dead form of the swine flu virus? So if that is true then surely there is no risk? I'm worried about this because I'm pregnant and due at the end of January so suspect I'll have to make a decision on it at some point.

stuffitlllama Wed 12-Aug-09 09:51:44

There's been a thread about this.

Because of the high number of doses that are "needed" the drug companies have been urged by WHO to use an adjuvant (which in the US they normally don't). The adjuvant boosts the immune response and makes the vaccine go further.

But there's been little study of the use of adjuvants with young children and pregnant women. So there has been talk of a separate vaccine without adjuvant being made available for those groups. No idea if this is true.

The flu jab adjuvant which GSK is using has in the past been AS03 -- squalene.. and there is apparently "good" and "bad" squalene (in fact some use it as a health product I discovered the other day). So some people say it's no problem while others have blamed it for various ailments after jabs.

I was trying to be impartial there and I hope I managed it. I would do a bunch of reading if I were you but there's a lot out there.

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 09:51:54

I don't know Christmasmum - but I'm a bit concerned about the squalene involvement tbh.

Just don't like the sound of it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now