Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I get DH Tamiflu?

(9 Posts)
ijustwant8hours Tue 11-Aug-09 20:35:37

DH has a temp of 38.8 and is achy. He has a little bit of a snotty nose but not much and no other symptoms. He does however have (mild) asthma.

Online thing says we can have tamiflu but the nearest place I can pick it up from is about 25 miles away and I don't drive. I can go tomorrow on the train (with 2 kids under 3)but to be honest he is sitting up eating pizza and watching the telly, tamiflu seems a bit of an overreaction but then I don't know because of the asthma.

I'm tempted to get him to speak to the GP tomorrow. Any views, am I just being lazy and should jump into a cab?

mears Tue 11-Aug-09 20:37:10

Tamiflu only shortens the symptoms by a day so i don't really see the point myself.

bristols Tue 11-Aug-09 20:43:58

If he's not feeling too bad, I would leave it. All those symptoms could be from any kind of virus, not necessarily swine flu. There seem to be a lot of things going round at the moment. I have a stinking cold myself.

Keep him dosed up on regular paracetamol and make sure he drinks plenty. Is he OK with ibuprofen? If he is, give that too.

I would get a telephone appointment with the GP tomorrow and take it from there.

Good luck!

ijustwant8hours Tue 11-Aug-09 20:48:17

Thanks. He doesn't look at deaths door so I will just watch him!!

TBH I'd be more worried about the rest of us, I'm immunosuppressed and dd is only 6m old

PeachyLaPeche Tue 11-Aug-09 21:01:09

There was a thing on the news stating tamiflu doesn't reduce the risk of asthma side effects from the flu, so i'd not bother (and in fact, I didn't)personally.

I would keep a close on eye on yourselves and be super careful about hyginene obviosuly, but TBH as you are sharing a house there's not a lot you can do by the stage of symptoms showing. Reagrdless of what he actually has.

Madsometimes Wed 12-Aug-09 09:50:06

dd2 and dh have both had a temp of over 38 with a cough, and we did not use tamiflu.

dd2 was the first to get sick, and she had a cough and was sick once (but after a car journey). dh was dismissive at the possibility that she could have SF, until 3 days later when he got sick hmm. He then spent 3 days in bed (did have a temp of 38.8, so not man flu). However, after 3 days he was up and about, so I do not think that either of them actually had it. He says that I am very unsympathetic.

sockmonkey Wed 12-Aug-09 10:15:50

DH used Tamiflu. He said it made him feel worse. Bad stomach, vomiting... and the other end too. He said if he'd known he wouldn't have bothered.
It doesn't make the symptoms any better, just shortens the time you are ill.

Horton Wed 12-Aug-09 10:21:00

I had Tamiflu (and no side effects) but I was really really ill. I don't think I'd have bothered with it if I only had a snotty nose and a temperature.

Make him sleep in the spare room if you're worried about getting it.

bristols Wed 12-Aug-09 19:17:39

Hope he's feeling better today smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now