Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS1 starting nursery at beginning of september should i wait for vaccine ?

(5 Posts)
Shell001 Mon 10-Aug-09 16:07:56

Hi,

Its been going over and over in my mind should i delay date and wait for vaccine to protect him and my DS2 4 months ?

Spoke to nursery and doctor .. doctor said it is a personal descion but he said maybe start him later in the year ?

Nursery said its fine this was back in july ..

Thoughts please ..

I would call and delay it until vaccine but im i being silly ..

piscesmoon Mon 10-Aug-09 19:31:43

I wouldn't give it to DCs. See latest news

Skimummy Mon 10-Aug-09 21:41:50

The latest news is about the antivirals - Tamiflu and Relenza - rather than the vaccine.

Only you can decide whether it is worth delaying nursery start. I was asked whether I was worried about my DD getting SF at nursery and, to be honest, it worries me as much as her getting any kind of illness. I don't think taking my DD out of nursery would be any kind of solution - the two colds she has had since being born have been courtesy of her Dad and he has to go to work! I can't protect her from him or from me!

I would only add that your DS will probably pick up all kinds of bugs when starting nursery as my DD did. It's a tough time but I don't think SF is the deal-breaker lots of people seem to think it is. But that is my personal opinion and it could be completely different to yours.

You are not being silly if you think it is what is best for you and your DS!

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 10-Aug-09 21:43:30

Piscesmoon, that is talking about anti-virals, not vaccines.

shell001, you know personally, I probably wouldn't delay. Because presumably your ds will still be mixing with other children. Also although it is hoped that the vaccine will be ready in Oct there are no guarantees and it could be a long time to put your life on hold. And he might not even get it and even if he does statistics say that it won't be a severe illness for him.

You can ask nursery what their handwashing, toywashing, sickness policy are. You can also ask them to contact you if there are suspected cases in the nursery.

piscesmoon Mon 10-Aug-09 22:01:53

Sorry-I misunderstood. However I don't think I would have vaccine anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now