Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If one of your kids had swine flu, did you and your other kids get it as well?

(8 Posts)
crokky Mon 10-Aug-09 14:33:52

My 3yo DS has been diagnosed with swine flu (doc assumed this as he was not swabbed, but it is either swine flu or another nasty virus thing so he has been prescribed tamiflu).

His flu like symptoms started around midnight/1am last night (although he was a little miserable and runny nosed before that, but nothing serious). He had his first dose of tamiflu around 1pm today. Is there any hope that my 16mo DD won't get it? I suppose it is too late for me to do anything to protect her now? What about me and DH (I'm not particularly worried about me and DH actually being ill, I just would like to be prepared if it is a foregone conclusion).

Thanks for any help.

KembleTwins Mon 10-Aug-09 14:37:12

I don't have experience myself, but one of my friends from DD's playgroup has had it. Neither of her DDs, or her DH caught it. It's not a foregone conclusion at all. If you can keep DS from sneezing or coughing directly onto his sister, that will help. Hope that's useful smile

crokky Mon 10-Aug-09 14:39:15

Yes, thanks, gives me some hope!

ZandMsmum Mon 10-Aug-09 15:12:50

My 3.5 year old dd just had it and none of the rest of us got it My son had been sharing a bedroom with her!) - despite the fact we didn't realise for 4 days. I think we were lucky that she had a temperature etc but no real cough or sneezes - I think that's what really spreads the germs. It was nasty for a week and then went as quickly as it arrived. Good luck! We didn't bother with Tamiflu as it was too late, only helpful if you start in the first 48 hours.

Gledhill Mon 10-Aug-09 21:23:23

My eldest son got it first, two days later my youngest got it, two days later I got it, and then two days after that my husband got it... it was a grim 2 weeks and we are all still exhausted from the virus 2 weeks on. Watched so much Mary Poppins with the kids I know all the lines!

expatinscotland Mon 10-Aug-09 21:25:33

My eldest got it first, on a Saturday.

On the following Thursday, DD2 and DH got it.

On the following Saturday, DS and I got it.

UndertheBoredwalk Mon 10-Aug-09 21:27:23

DD got it and I got it a few days later, there's only the two of us, but for the few days before we realised what was wrong with her she'd been with loads of people, even stayed over at my aunts house
9and slept in the bed with her) and nobody else got it.
I don't think is a forgone conclusion at all

crokky Tue 11-Aug-09 16:40:07

eeeek, thanks for responses!

DS is really quite ill with it. He tolerated the tamiflu yesterday, but today he vomited it all over me 45 mins after taking it (I was holding him and it got me everywhere from my hair to my socks!). I am really hoping my DD will not get it, I have tried hard to protect her, but I think I may be next!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now