Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I have swine flu? Who do I check with?

(9 Posts)
mosschops30 Sun 09-Aug-09 09:50:50

I began with a sore throat on friday, then yesterday it felt like a cold, bunged up nose, sore throat, dry hacking cough and totally drained, along with some joint pain.

Feel pretty much the same today, maybe more drained and voice more coraky, but have managed to get out of bed.

I dont have a temp and I thought that was the defining factor in swine flu? So do I go to work tomorrow?

Am 26 wks pg and asthmatic so maybe thats why Im being a bit cautious.
We also live in Wales, so do I just ring out of hours doctor?

Monkeyandbooba Sun 09-Aug-09 09:54:45

I'd call your GP out of hours if you are pregnant but it sounds like a bad cold Could always take the day of anyway and see how you feel?

mosschops30 Sun 09-Aug-09 10:07:32

have had a look at some of the welsh advice and it does say to call your gp.
Feel stupid calling out of hours for what might be a cold!

nannynick Sun 09-Aug-09 10:22:00

Given you are pregnant, call the out of hours service and leave them to make the decision with regard to if a GP needs to visit.

Try to do as little as possible and stay in bed. Max Strength flu powder may help, Large spoon of honey with a squeeze of 1/2 a lemon, plus hot water may help throat.

See how you are tomorrow. If you need to tell work today that you won't be in tomorrow, rather than telling them in the morning, then probably best to take the day off and take things one day at a time.

PerfectPrefect Sun 09-Aug-09 10:25:55

I agree, given that you are pregnant, and 2nd/3rd trimester patients are considered high risk call you GP.

mosschops30 Sun 09-Aug-09 10:52:22

Thanks all, have spoken to lovely out of hours GP who says I was absolutely right to call given pregnancy and asthma!
He said it sounds like a bad cold, but I must keep on taking temp and if it goes above 38 then to call back immediately.

He said if I stay the same and I feel up to it then I can go to work tomorrow.

Think I will see how I feel later, it doesnt matter if I tell work today or tomorrow whether Im going to be in.
(nanny dont think either max flu powder or honey allowed in pregnancy - its paracetamol only)

mosschops30 Sun 09-Aug-09 10:52:54

or it maybe that you cant give a baby honey!!! grin pregnancy brain playing tricks on me as usual

PerfectPrefect Sun 09-Aug-09 11:41:56

You can't give a baby under 1 year honey

mosschops30 Sun 09-Aug-09 11:57:01

aaahh thats what I was thinking of then smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now