Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

recovery from chest infection after swine flu

(6 Posts)
jetcat32 Sat 08-Aug-09 08:57:24

for those of you unlucky enough to get a chest infection after swine flu - please could you let me know about your recovery?

My 12 year old daughter was diangosed with SF a couple of weeks ago, and has been struggling with her breathing/coughing ever sincesad

She was finally diagnosed with a chest infection on Thursday and given antibiotics - she is still coughing/being sick thoughsad

She is supposed to be going on an activity camp on Monday, where activities on offer are canoeing, hill walking, mountain biking (which she wouldnt be doing anyway as due to her dyspraxia she cant ride a bike) etc. The staff are fine with her going while on antibotics - her last day on them will be Monday anyway. But, DD is very anxious about being sick through coughing while she is there. It is very much a waiting game at the moment, and although camp is paid for, there are a few little extras i need to get for her - but would be a waste of money if she didnt go IYSWIM.

From your own experience, do you think she would be recovered enough by Monday?? The cough started 2 and a half weeks ago, and has stayed the same really - but the occasions of being sick through the coughing has increased greatly. At the moment, it is probably about 6-7 instances per daysad

Gotte Sat 08-Aug-09 09:11:33

I can only speak from the experience of normal flu and chest infections (pneumonia), in that I found it washed me out, and could come back if I over exerted myself. I thought I was over it after about a month, but I went out in a cold wind, clambering about in Cornish sanddunes, and it came back, and I was coughing up blood again and back in hospital having a chest x-ray.
That said, they wondered whether the first dose of anti-biotics they gave me was enough, so it may just have been that the infection was lurking.
I am a cyclist, though, and I hear tell all the time of people with chest infections getting back on their bikes too soon and bringing it back.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 08-Aug-09 09:20:20

Message withdrawn

TotalChaos Sat 08-Aug-09 09:29:11

had a chest infection last year - took 5 days of ABs for me to feel at all better - and didn't feel 100% better until a fortnight after I started taking the ABs. Given how unwell she is feeling now, I doubt she will be well enough to go walking/be outside all day on Monday.

jetcat32 Sat 08-Aug-09 09:58:25

thats what i think to be honestsad

She is well enough in herself, no temp or anything, but does struggle on exertion. I have explained that it is kind of pointless going just to watch.

She is just so upset - this is the second trip she has missed now due to SF - she was supposed to go to a theme park with my sister just after she got it, so obviously she couldnt gosad

I am letting her go the youth club tonight for an hour (it is them she is supposed to be going to activity camp with) so they can see how she is, but i think i will just have to put my foot down and say i dont think she should go!

yummymummy310 Sun 09-Aug-09 22:07:36

I had SF and also a chest infection I was lucky that it got picked up early and so got antibiotics, I got the SF nearly 3 weeks ago now and am still so wiped out by it, it took me ages to shift the flu amd still get so tired. I wouldn't think it was wise at all to go on a trip requiring so much energy, I know it will be so disappointing for her but her health's more important x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now