Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

plans for mass vaccination at schools in autumn

(247 Posts)
pofacedandproud Fri 07-Aug-09 15:12:10

here

How do people feel about this?

cornsillk Fri 07-Aug-09 15:14:02

I think it's a good idea if they can draft in enough staff to administer the vaccine.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 07-Aug-09 15:14:40

One word:

Torchwood

Sorry, if the virus mutates then the vaccines won't be effective.

pofacedandproud Fri 07-Aug-09 15:15:11

last thread about the vaccine on here lots were wary and said they wouldn't let their children have an untried vaccine. Don't know if opinion has changed. I don't know how I feel really.

stabintheback Fri 07-Aug-09 15:15:34

well they are only studying the plans at the moment.
probably give it up as a headache, or start it and it will be far too complicated.

pofacedandproud Fri 07-Aug-09 15:15:49

Oh come on Fluffy, I don't watch Torchwood but the story lines are as wobbly as the scenery.

beanieb Fri 07-Aug-09 15:16:28

If I had a primary school kid I wouldn't agree to a vaccination like this. it's good that they say written parental approval would be needed.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 07-Aug-09 15:18:34

grin

I wouldn't really want anything not tested to the hills used on my son though. If it mutates it will be pointless.

yappybluedog Fri 07-Aug-09 15:18:59

it's not a novel vaccine so it will safe

I'm more worried about getting it into my needle-phobic dd

herecomesthesun Fri 07-Aug-09 15:21:57

Sorry yappybluedog can you explain what you mean or why it's not a novel vaccine please, not up on vaccines etc.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Aug-09 15:26:14

Presumably it will be made in exactly the same way as the seasonal flu vaccine dished out to millions of people every year. The target virus is different each time for that too. So its no more novel than what granny gets each year as a matter of course.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Aug-09 15:31:07

You still get protection from a vaccine for a closely-related virus. So long as the surface is similar enough still, which it probably will be for normal mutations.

Remember the root of the word 'vaccine'. The first ever was innoculating against smallpox using cowpox.

pofacedandproud Fri 07-Aug-09 15:31:46

yes that is what I was wondering. Why then did the old swine flu vaccine given to soldiers in the sixties [was it the sixties?] cause so many problems?

LeonieSoSleepy Fri 07-Aug-09 15:33:44

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 07-Aug-09 15:36:20

Message withdrawn

singersgirl Fri 07-Aug-09 15:44:36

Yes, but that was 30 years ago and millions of doses of flu vaccines have been safely given since that time. My children routinely receive flu vaccines; one year DS2, who was 2 at the time, had both the Northern and Southern Hemisphere jabs within a couple of months of each other as we lived in both hemispheres in both winter seasons that year.

Why should this flu vaccine be any more risky than the ones my mum, stepdad and children had last year? The lead time on all seasonal flu vaccines is short.

pagwatch Fri 07-Aug-09 15:44:37

I think I will be very politely declining. Thanks

pofacedandproud Fri 07-Aug-09 15:46:06

i normally would pag but we've been so ill recently and it wasn't even SF [negative swab] so a bit scared. Plus ds just about to start school...grrrr...

nellie12 Fri 07-Aug-09 15:47:32

Yes I have read the debate and until they test this thoroughly I will not be having mine vaccinated against the flu. This from a mother who turns up to every vaccination routinely including mmr. But I am struggling with this one. the flu vaccine is usually tested more than this will be and interestingly the government is accepting all liability for this vaccination as the drug companies won't. that isn't inspiring me.

out of curiosity did anyone else complete the decide questionnaire about immunisations and is now wondering if that was a preliminary test the water survey?

pagwatch Fri 07-Aug-09 15:53:08

Actually singersgirl - my mum declines the flu vaccine every year and so does my DS1.I decline on behalf of DD. We don't get on very well with vaccines...

Mezley Fri 07-Aug-09 16:13:55

From the people I know who have had swine flu, the symptoms are miserable and you feel dreadful and the kids have been sick as anything. BUT the symptons don't last long (up to a week for most) so if you are not in a high risk category (pregant, other illness, very old etc) then you may want to to weigh up the risk and benefit of a flu jab. As I'm high risk (i.e. pregnant) as soon as it's on offer, it's off the to doctors for me!

pofacedandproud Fri 07-Aug-09 16:20:30

everything i get leaves me with a bad chest infection [asthmatic]. And i have a 15 month old who runs high fevers for a week with just a cold. And the second wave stuff sounds scary. Just don't know really what to do.

dikkertjedap Fri 07-Aug-09 17:00:19

Normally I am very much in favour of vaccination, but I am going to pass on this until much more safety data becomes available, including whether health care workers take up the vaccine in large numbers. And since reading up on all of this I have decided that I don't want any vaccines manufactured by Baxter (doesn't matter for what it is) period!

I feel that the UK government is rushing this through and using the UK population and especially vulnerable groups as guinea pigs.

I would however be interested in getting a vaccine once properly tested and made by the likes of CSL, Vaxine, Sanofi-Aventis, but from what I understand of the various things in the press these firms are not anticipating any vaccines to become available soon as their testing procedures are much more time consuming. I believe that CSL who already started testing several weeks ago (as far as I know GSK has not even started testing yet and Baxter I believe only started very recently) said that it hopes if all goes well for a vaccine to become available next year ....

pofacedandproud Fri 07-Aug-09 17:04:47

what have you read about Baxter dikkertjedap?

fanjolina Fri 07-Aug-09 17:20:53

No way am I letting my children be vaccinated with anything that contains squalene as an adjutant.

That is what makes it different - and more dangerous - than the regular seasonal flu vaccines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now