Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is going on?

(5 Posts)
dikkertjedap Fri 07-Aug-09 09:14:51

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/Swine_flu/article6741602.ece

This seems to suggest that less people are getting it but more people die? I am also not sure how they determine how many people get it, do they only coun't the people who contacted GPs or also those who were 'diagnosed' as such by the flu helpline?

I find it quite confusing.

Also not sure what the WHO is up to trying to reassure people that the rushed through vaccines will nevertheless be safe after first having raised concerns itself about rushing through vaccines. Bit rich to say that safety procedures are so much better now after what happened with Baxter at the start of the year ... Especially given that it now seems Baxter who is in the lead with bringing it to the market (UK market not US narket from what I understand!!!).

Ledodgy Fri 07-Aug-09 09:15:52

here

just looking at it now.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 07-Aug-09 20:44:22

I think part of it may possibly be over diagnosis when kids were at school and lots of bugs going round. But also the people who have died may have been in hospital for several days or even a few weeks before they died and may have contracted pan flu at the height of the first wave.

StinkyFart Fri 07-Aug-09 20:46:19

can you explain what happened with Baxter ?

Gotte Fri 07-Aug-09 23:01:26

As far as I understand, we are about a month behind Mexico, the US and Austraila. To reiterate, they were exactly where we were about a month ago.
To see what will happen here, we just have to look at what is happening there.
Of course, other things may come into play; whether the virus is mutating, which, at last read (yesterday), it is not, and whether we have more herd immunity due to the greater amount of people (supposedly) contracting it here.
But, keep an eye on those three countries, and be thankful we have that breathing space.
That's how I understand it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now