Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Am I the only one who wouldn't give my child Tamifle or take it myself?

(14 Posts)
lollie69 Tue 04-Aug-09 23:24:44

Hello Ladies

I know I'm probably stoking the fire here a little but I just wondered...

For the sake of lessening the symptoms by one day and having to take it within the first 48hrs of initial symptoms why is there such a panic to immunise so many?

With the research I've done on the vaccine and the possible side effects (especially in the young), some long term. To be honest the possible side effects from the vaccine would worry me more than the flu itself, our bodies are designed to fight off the likes of the flu so why not let it instead of interfering with Mother Nature.

Here’s a rather interesting article on Mercola’s website:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/08/04/Squalene-The-Swine-Flu-Vacci nes-Dirty-Little-Secret-Exposed.aspx

Arm yourself with as much information as you can and then decide what’s best for your family.

What are you views…

washatsixtycooltumbledrynoiron Wed 05-Aug-09 00:28:07

Your post seems to be mixing up different things. It's Tamiflu that's supposed to shorten symptoms by about one day and has to be taken within 48 hours of initial symptoms. A vaccine is completely different.

bruffin Wed 05-Aug-09 01:27:34

mercola really isn't a reliable websitegrin

MaDuggar Wed 05-Aug-09 08:45:57

YOu are talking about 2 different things there. The vaccine is not tamiflu.

yummymummy310 Wed 05-Aug-09 08:58:06

it isn't just to reduce symptoms by a day that is a common misconception it's mainly to reduce risk of pneumonia and other serious conditions. I didn't think we'd take it but my eldest was so poorly it was the lesser of 2 evils and she bounced back unbelievably quickly after stuggling to breathe at first, not sure if that was the tamiflu or not but she didn't have side effects.

All drugs have side effects but the thing is people don't usually take them when they haven't been properly diagnosed as needing them, luckily my eldest was examined at A&E and definately had a flu and flu induced wheeze which presented itself like an accute asthma attack so she took the tamiflu as the flu had a hold of her early on. The doc said she was pretty certain was swine flu due to bad effect on her breathing but she wasn't swabbed x

thehairybabysmum Wed 05-Aug-09 09:34:01

I think you should firstly redo your research based on the actual facts as described above...(ie. that tamiflu is not a vaccine for starters), then maybe 'attempt to stoke the fire'!!

yummymummy310 Wed 05-Aug-09 13:09:56

I agree!!wink

sarah293 Wed 05-Aug-09 13:29:30

Message withdrawn

laughalot Wed 05-Aug-09 14:18:36

The first few tablets are supposed to be when you get the worst side effects. My ds had his first and was fine and then threw up after the 2nd. Since then hes been fine.

MGMidget Thu 06-Aug-09 12:37:18

My son had 'flu like symptoms' and was prescribed Tamiflu by the helpline. However, we also saw a doctor the following day at the helpline's suggestion owing to possible 'underlying health problem'. The doctor thought he had tonsillitis so we gave him the prescribed antibiotics and held off from giving Tamiflu to see if he improved. We had to make a judgement before the 48 hour deadline was up and decided he wasn't ill enough to justify giving it to him and risking all the side effects. It turned out he didn't have swine flu (as he was tested) so I'm glad we didn't give it to him but it was a really hard decision to make. If he had experienced breathing difficulties in the first 48 hours I think we would have given him the Tamiflu. Its a difficult call though as I'm not sure what happens if you give the Tamiflu when they don't have flu and then they get the flu - supposedly the helpline won't prescribe it a second time???

MGMidget Thu 06-Aug-09 12:40:35

PS, I should add that the swine flu test results took a week so its no use waiting for the results of a test before giving the Tamiflu as you have to give it in the first 48 hours.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 06-Aug-09 12:43:49

I thought part of the reason for taking antivirals is that as it reduces length/severity of your symptoms it also reduces the likelihood of infecting others.

The health authorities, quite rightly, have to think about such things even if you only (not unnaturally) care about your own family.

yummymummy310 Thu 06-Aug-09 16:30:53

tamiflu is given because of those reasons but also to try and prevent serious complications that can occur especially in vulnerable groups. I didn't like taking it or giving it to my kids but they are fine and I'm nearly there. My eldest was really poorly with bad breathing problems and bounced back amazingly quickly not sure whether it was due to tamiflu or not x

bootontheotherfoot Fri 07-Aug-09 21:20:12

Yes your right, the vaccine is a completely different thing however it is just around the corner and with will bring a whole host of new questions, side effects and drug interactions to consider.

In the meantime Tamiflu is being mass prescribed to anyone and everyone who has the slightest whiff of loosely diagnosed oink oink. Very few of them actually being confirmed swabbed cases. If based on reducing serious complications and reducing the risk of spreading the virus why don't they just report it as such?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now